First snow of the season for the mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quietman said:

Awesome, and I'd love to be that guy, but how does one determine that one isn't trashing the Alpine Garden while taking first turns?

Not accusing, asking.

I have learned to identify the crampon marks I see on trails, knowing that each one was an incidence of dulling someone's gear. That's all fine, but I would personally mind knowing I was off-trail up there before the snowpack really buried the vegetation.

So what process does a deliberate rider use?

That looks like it's on the Auto Road. There's not enough snow to cover much of anything else.

The text with the picture said that since skiing the road is forbiden, he could only do a short run on the parking lots.

The snow on the sides was 2-4" deep and was a loose granular on top of a glaze and rime base, preventing me from hitting pavement. Although the run lasted only a fraction of a minute, it was worth every second! There really isn't anything quite like sliding effortlessly downhill. I spent the next hour lapping this little section of the parking lots (riding is prohibited on the Auto Road), thoroughly enjoying every ride down and hike up. I then returned home, beard covered in rime and giddy as could be.

On the way home today.... a little dark for photos but I did my best!

2128637370102301157S600x600Q85.jpg

2437954470102301157S600x600Q85.jpg

(Lafayette from two different angles)​

Last edited:
Yesterday and Today Katahdin was listed as class 4 (all trails above treeline closed). When the clouds finally lifted after off and on rain showers below, and very cold nights (and day too :eek: ), a nice skin of white was clinging on above treeline. Looks like a trace to 1/2" or so was up there. Made for disappointment climbing wise, but sure had bang for the buck beauty factor going for it!

Brian

Just returned home from a backpack into the Great Gulf...snow of at least 2 inches on higher peaks..wind was gusting pretty strong Fri night & all day Saturday..Mount Washington had a great layer of snow/ice! :D

Beautifull snow peaks and foliage below!!

Pics will come!!

For what it's worth, this is a blurb from the Accuweather site:

IT MIGHT BE MELLOW NOW, BUT THE WEATHER IS GETTING READY TO GO INTO A STORMY PATTERN...

I was saying in the office this morning that when the atmosphere goes into a mellow weather pattern, it's just a matter of time before it snaps back and goes into a stormy weather pattern. I see that happening next week, as we are going into a stormy weather pattern and one that might just yield the first snowflakes of the season across the Great Lakes and Northeast. I am not saying that a major storm is coming, maybe not just yet, but the pattern that I see coming will have plenty of cold air that can be tapped by any storm to produce snow. In any case, snow showers and flurries will develop in the wake of any storm due to the very cold air that is coming in for the last half of the month. I do think in regards to winter that it will begin early this year, probably after Thanksgiving, and continue through December. Some of the best snowstorms in the East could occur in December. When I talk about East, I mean areas east of the Mississippi River.

For what it's worth, this is a blurb from the Accuweather site:

IT MIGHT BE MELLOW NOW, BUT THE WEATHER IS GETTING READY TO GO INTO A STORMY PATTERN...

I was saying in the office this morning that when the atmosphere goes into a mellow weather pattern, it's just a matter of time before it snaps back and goes into a stormy weather pattern. I see that happening next week, as we are going into a stormy weather pattern and one that might just yield the first snowflakes of the season across the Great Lakes and Northeast. I am not saying that a major storm is coming, maybe not just yet, but the pattern that I see coming will have plenty of cold air that can be tapped by any storm to produce snow. In any case, snow showers and flurries will develop in the wake of any storm due to the very cold air that is coming in for the last half of the month. I do think in regards to winter that it will begin early this year, probably after Thanksgiving, and continue through December. Some of the best snowstorms in the East could occur in December. When I talk about East, I mean areas east of the Mississippi River.

yeah, Henry Margusity is a great guy. He is also very good at predicting winter weather.

Well, I'll finally be traversing the Bonds tommorrow, and a little bit of snow will make it all the more special! :) Nothing more beautiful than a full panoramic backdrop of fall colors accented by white mountain tops!

Pretty potent upper level low coming through today and tonight will bring a more substantial snow then when this origonal post was made. Snow levels will come down to as low as 1000 feet for accumulation on Wednesday morning. The low will develop off the coast and bring some additional precip to the region on Wednesday as well as "upslope" during the day. Look for all out full winter conditions in the Whites tonight through Thursday. Temps will drop top the mid to low teens on Mount Washington, with some strong winds on Wednesday. I would say a general 3-6 inches of snow above 3500 feet in the Whites, I think western may see the most, Kinsman, Franconia. -Mattl

A sign of the times.

I'm not too excited about the setup for my lo-cal. There might be some mixed snowflakes, but I'm too low in elevation for any real accumulation. If I was in the Whites tomorrow though, I'd be very excited and probably want to go for a hike. And northern Maine is under a winter weather advisory for 3-4 inches.

And get your skis/snowboards/winter hiking gear ready. With a little luck, we'll get a lot of snow again this winter. :)

grouseking

And get your skis/snowboards/winter hiking gear ready. With a little luck, we'll get a lot of snow again this winter. :)

A little luck? You mean a lot of bad luck, right? That is, unless you're willing to shovel my walkway and scrape my windshield every other day :)

Time to start carrying the microspikes!

Way ahead of you! There was some mild amusement from my hiking partners on the Moats Saturday when they saw my Microspikes hanging off my pack. They thought I just did it to look "hardcore", but I'm ready for anything at this time of year.

Planning a day off to hike this Thursday. Should be interesting...

The big problem right now is that skim coat of ice that the rocks get at the water crossings. Too little ice for spikes to grab on to, but way too slippery to bare boot. All one can do is be super careful, and try to chop it up with the tip of a pole.

I suspect that many hikers this weekend will base their decision on your Thursday report!

Last edited: