First snow of the season for the mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big problem right now is that skim coat of ice that the rocks get at the water crossings. Too little ice for spikes to grab on to, but way too slippery to bare boot. All one can do is be super careful, and try to chop it up with the tip of a pole.

I suspect that may hikers this weekend will base their decision on your Thursday report!

Funny you should mention that, because I'm thinking of hiking the Twins starting at North Twin trail, and after reading Cumulus's trip report (on Rocksontop) regarding the icy rocks on the stream crossings, I think I'll go "old school" and bring my Stabilicers along. :D Seriously, while I love the Microspikes, I think in a thin-ice, slippery-rock type of situation like we're talking about here, the Stabiliciers might be a better option. I think they hold up a little better on mostly bare rock, since you're just walking on fairly flat (but sharp) screws, rather than spikes. I'll also take my Crocs, just in case I decide to say "to hell with it" on the rocks, and just wade across.

Its mixing just north my area in Lebanon now, and should mix here soon. The Whites are doing very well, and the snow level is down to the valley now is most places as of Wednesday morning. I wonder if there was any snow in Franconia this morning? Anyone hiking tomorrow, looks for mid November conditions. -Mattl

No snow here in Tamworth (fortunately). It looks like the Attitash and Jackson cams on the MWO site have water in view.

Those are nice pictures, I am having trouble finding anything else. -Mattl

Visible snow above 2500 feet in Waterville Valley. MFurgal64 and I left town under cover of darkness (sounds more mysterious than "we commuted"), but his daughter called us at about 7:45 all excited... looks like a couple wet inches, at most.

You can see fresh video from Waterville's ace multimedia guy, Jeremy, on the home page at : Waterville.com.

Nor'Easter it's not, but the picture a friend posted to FaceBook mid-morning has sustained me through a long day at the office...

first_snow.JPG

Last edited:
As of this afternoon (Wed PM),there is a distinct snow band on the North side of Madison at about 2000 feet. Going to be a bit "drippy" for the next few days when the sun comes out!.

I did a quick hike up Great Hill this afternoon...the snow line in the Sandwich Range appears to be around 3,100-3,200'

Click for brief trip report (where a larger version can be seen):

This afternoon I took this. Nearby clouds were casting a shadow on the snowy peak of Mt. Chocorua but you can get the picture...:rolleyes:..

choc10-22-08.jpg

North Moat is also frosty, but not Middle or South Moat summits. Mt. Passaconaway and the Sleepers are frosty as well.

happy autumn :)