Franconia Ridge Traverse 10/02/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

My sister and I are planning on hiking Franconia Ridge on Sunday October 2. The plan is to go up Skookumchuck, across the ridge and down Osseo out to Lincoln Woods parking area. We would more than likely start between 8 and 8:30.

Anyone interested in coming along with us??

-MEB

MEB said:
Hi All,

down Osseo out to Lincoln Woods parking area.
Go down the Original Osseo Trail so that you go over Whaleback (Osseo) and out. You can park on the gravel area on the Kanc or I think Loon and it's only a teensy roadwalk.

I will consider. Dr. Wu can't make any longterm plans (beyond 5 minutes) right now.

-Dr. Wu

food & beer?? Oh Yeah!

Sounds like a great idea!! There's always time for food and beer!! :D

there is a possibility that I might be interested in this hike...do you know the total mileage off the top of your head (i can look it up later)? Also, what do you anticipate your pace will be like/how long do you expect it to take you? Thanks :)
-katie

Time - distance - elevation

Just happened to have an AMC guide next to me...

North to south is:

15.7 miles
4750 feet gain (most of this is in the first five miles)
Book time is around 10:30

Hi Katie,

The trip will be about 15 1/2 miles and the book time going in the reverse direction is just over 10 hours....so that being said I'm open for starting at Lincoln Woods too but I'll check my books tonight to see what book time is starting on Skookumchuck. I'm also open to an earlier or later start time as well. I usually hike book time or a bit better but I pretty much will hike whatever speed the group ends up going....as long as I can still breath! :)

-MEB

Carla and I will be staying in Lincoln that weekend. I am already planning a variation of this hike with Tuco. I was thinking going up Falling Waters and down the bridle path. But I am flexible. I'll look at my maps tonight and let you know if we're in.

Rob

Edit - Regardless of hike plans, post-hike food and beer is always good. :) Definitely in for that.

Last edited:
I am thinking of either the Franconia ridge or at least Laffeyette or Garfield that weekend . I might well be the last long hike for for a few months if I havev ot have surgery and it is loking that way uggh :( .So I want both great views and good weather. I would love to meet a few for food and beer ! better yet on the trail at some point before food and beer. :cool:

MEB said:
I'm open for starting at Lincoln Woods too

There's about 700' less of elevation gain necessary if you start at Skookumchuck instead of Lincoln Woods. Guess what my recommendation would be? :D

oct.2

would like to join you.not sure about hike or work sch.will be in touch.

andy

MichaelJ said:
There's about 700' less of elevation gain necessary if you start at Skookumchuck instead of Lincoln Woods. Guess what my recommendation would be? :D
Oh what a weenie!!! :D :p 700'!? I hope you can be convinced to do Whaleback (after I convince Mary Ellen to do Whaleback). There's no real elevation gain... Whaleback's prominence is like 50'.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Oh what a weenie!!! :D :p 700'!? I hope you can be convinced to do Whaleback (after I convince Mary Ellen to do Whaleback).

Weenie? Weenie??!?!?! How about biking back to the car, then? :D

If you can find the end of the old Osseo Trail up on the ridge, I could certainly be persuaded to follow it. Convincing Mary Ellen at that point shouldn't be very difficult at all. :)

Of course, I don't know yet if I'll be there, though I'm tempted (Franconia Ridge was one of my potential plans for this weekend before I decided on Goose Eye).

MichaelJ said:
If you can find the end of the old Osseo Trail up on the ridge, I could certainly be persuaded to follow it.
The junction with the old trail wasn't hard to spot last summer--about 1/2 mi S of Flume just before the trail drops off the flats and heads down the ridge.

I followed the old trail for ~100ft or so. Grown-in, but I had no difficulty following it.

Doug

DougPaul said:
The junction with the old trail wasn't hard to spot last summer--about 1/2 mi S of Flume just before the trail drops off the flats and heads down the ridge.

I followed the old trail for ~100ft or so. Grown-in, but I had no difficulty following it.

Doug
Below Whaleback it's the most obvious trail in the universe. Blazed like on every other tree. It's a lot of fun. I never got to Whaleback -- it was a downpour and Barbarossa and I actually bungled it and bushwhacked from basically a random point on the Kanc instead of finding the actual trailhead. We found the trail on the way out.

-Dr. Wu

I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning and will be out of touch until Tuesday--so I'll get back to you all then about Franconia Ridge. Looks like it could be a really fun trip! Happy hiking this weekend all...I'm heading to two weddings, one in NJ and one in OR, yes, I am crazy :)
-katie

bunchberry said:
I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning and will be out of touch until Tuesday--so I'll get back to you all then about Franconia Ridge. Looks like it could be a really fun trip! Happy hiking this weekend all...I'm heading to two weddings, one in NJ and one in OR, yes, I am crazy :)
-katie
Crazy Dave style weekend!!!

dr_wu002 said:
Below Whaleback it's the most obvious trail in the universe. Blazed like on every other tree. It's a lot of fun. I never got to Whaleback -- it was a downpour and Barbarossa and I actually bungled it and bushwhacked from basically a random point on the Kanc instead of finding the actual trailhead. We found the trail on the way out.

-Dr. Wu

I looked for it, but never saw it. I was coming from Lincoln Woods. I was not really sure where it would've branched off. It seems like you should be able to tell by looking at the map.

From the last time the Old Osseo Trail was discussed:

arm said:
walk down the new Osseo Trail from Flume's summit, and keep your eyes peeled for a tree with a arrow carved in it on your right ... you'll see a small cairn in the woods there, and what looks like a herd path