Franconia Ridge Traverse 10/02/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clown said:
I looked for it, but never saw it. I was coming from Lincoln Woods. I was not really sure where it would've branched off. It seems like you should be able to tell by looking at the map.
It starts from where the Clearbrook Condos are and not Lincoln Woods. It hooked up with the current Osseo Trail in the area where the Osseo Trail now makes a wide turn North. http://docs.unh.edu/NH/frcn32ne.jpg

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
It starts from where the Clearbrook Condos are and not Lincoln Woods. It hooked up with the current Osseo Trail in the area where the Osseo Trail now makes a wide turn North. http://docs.unh.edu/NH/frcn32ne.jpg

-Dr. Wu

Yeah, lol, I know it doesn't start from Lincoln Woods :) . When studying the map, there was a spot near flume that looks like the Osseo trail takes a big curve, and I thought that was where the trail branched off.

Quote:
MichaelJ said:
walk down the new Osseo Trail from Flume's summit, and keep your eyes peeled for a tree with a arrow carved in it on your right ... you'll see a small cairn in the woods there, and what looks like a herd path

Thanks for the info... I didn't realize it was that close to the summit.

Kevin Rooney said:
I don't want to discourage anyone here, but ... after climbing N. Lafayette, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty and Flume the plan is to complete the hike with a bushwhack which no one in the group has done, and that will take another 3-4 hours? Hmm ...

Please be sure to post a trail report!

Kevin
Franconia Ridge Traverse, imo, is an easy hike. It'll probably take a good 2.5 - 3 hours to go down from Flume Summit anyway so the extra hour or even two hours won't make a difference. My route-finding skills are good enough that I should be able to find and follow a partially maintained and moderately used abandoned trail. Below Whaleback it is wide and well maintained for the most part.

If I end up doing the hike I'll do this part whether or not anyone else does, I guess. going across the whole ridge is something that I've always wanted to do.

-Dr. Wu

Bushwack or not, it really sounds like alot of fun! Unfortunately I have to work that day :( . I would love to do it some other time. Also, I've never done it in that direction, ending with Flume.

bunchberry said:
I'm heading to two weddings, one in NJ and one in OR, yes, I am crazy :)

Now that's just craaaaazy talk!

dr_wu002 said:
If I end up doing the hike I'll do this part whether or not anyone else does, I guess.

The nice thing is that the decision doesn't have to be made until standing at the junction near the end of the day. Just keep those 3 miles between the condos and Lincoln Woods in mind.

Whaleback??

I'm inclined to agree with Kevin on this one...let's save the bushwhack to Whaleback for another day.

-MEB

I have a pemi-loop somewhat planned for this weekend with a good chance it may not happen - if my partners bail - I would be into this if you wouldn't mind having me along.

I will do the BW to whalesback with Wu - won't be a problem

I see its a day trip - are you folks staying local fri-sat nights.

Last edited:
Okay, count me in too, I need Flume, and I don't think getting the last 15 done before October is going to happen. :(
Oh well, there are worse things in life...
I'm shooting for New years Day now, or maybe Noveber 17.
Hum, what can I make for the bake-off? ;)

Bake off???

How about some more of those yummy blueberry squares!! :) Glad to hear your coming!

-MEB

Reactions: yam
have fun!

I went up the Bridal Path to Lafayette, all the way to Flume, then down Flume Slide. I wish i'd tried either of the Osseo's (I did the old one as a kid).

Anyway, I just wanted to note that the travers from Little Haystack to Liberty is an outstanding stretch!

Well, after talking it over on yesterday's trip, it seems like I'll be along for this one.

Now hurry up, Rita, and blow through before the weekend!

I'm gonna try and be there as well.

However, and not to be that guy, but the biggest baseball game of the season might be starting at 2:05pm. I might do something early and hit the Woodstock.

Peace.

I hear ya JayTrek. Im banking on the drama being over before then but with our teams history thats unlikely.
A few years ago I went on a peakbagging trip to the Adirondacks during the ALDS! I had a radio and my sox hat listening to the Oakland series as a wandered the N.Y. countryside.
I also saw Zimmer get tossed by Pedro from a bar in Plattsburgh after another hike not soon after.(Kinda disconcerting being the only one laughing afterwards, forgot where I was)

You had me worried for a moment there, Jay! I have tickets to ALDS home game #1 for the Sox, if and when it happens. I hope it doesn't conflict with a hike. :D

jaytrek: cool - hope you can make it - we are heading to shasta/hood together - great to meet up - I am in full blown hockey mode now - the red sox are slowly going of my radar..............

I'll check my books tonight to see what book time is starting on Skookumchuck.

Don't understimate (the length/time of) Skookum. It only has one set of "stairs"and then a minor scramble. The rest is benign/very gradual uphill (and pretty) - but it does seem looong. Once you top out you also have to do the viewpoint to false (N) Lafayette summit before even getting to LaFayette. IMO you will have to FLY to get to true LaFayette summit in 3 hours or less. Not that it can't be done tho... ;)

Okay, I will contribute blueberry bars and some anadama bread, but everyone has to eat it ALL! I don't want to carry down the leftovers. ;)