Snow Amounts update please?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished skiing the Wilderness Trail from Lincoln woods out to Franconia Falls. Maybe 4" of heavy snow. Not as much as I was hoping for.

I just got the official report from the Auto Road --- 1.5 feet of snow so far. Spring in New England is super, isn't it?!!!! :rolleyes: :p

The snowfall this spring is amazing! Hermit Lake is at 72 inches at the stake, and thats after a lot of settling. I am baffled at why every ski area except Wildcat closed in NH..There is more snow now then all winter and the last 2 years. Maybe they think since there isn't snow at people houses and its so late in the year people wont come. I dont know.... -Mattl

Mattl said:
I am baffled at why every ski area except Wildcat closed in NH..There is more snow now then all winter and the last 2 years. Maybe they think since there isn't snow at people houses and its so late in the year people wont come. I dont know.... -Mattl
History has shown that enough people don't show up to buy tickets to make it worth their while. It's just too expensive to keep the resorts open. Plus a lot of the seasonal staff is gone already.

Western resorts regularly close with 100"+ bases because people just stop skiing. You can always skin up the mountain, lots of earned turns to be had in the next few weeks.

-dave-

Most of the people I saw skiing the last two weekends were season pass holders like me. You cannot make money if no one buys a ticket.

It was quite busy at Jay Peak this last weekend, and the skiing was phenomenal. Sure less people come out this time of year, but if the resorts offer good deals, then the people will come. Who will really want to pay $70 for a day ticket? This is the best skiing conditions in the last 10 years or so right now. Kind of a shame it did not happen at xmas time.

king tut said:
Sure less people come out this time of year, but if the resorts offer good deals, then the people will come.
No, they won't. People just don't want to ski this time of year, except for the die hards. And the die hards have seasons passes, or cheap tickets. We (I'm one of them) don't pump a lot of money into the ski area this time of year. The real money is accommodations, and people will wait until they see the snow before booking. It's a crapshoot for the resorts.

You have to line up seasonal workers when they're already planning on working other seasonal jobs (mainly construction) so you have to guarantee them hours when the weather will dictate if there is going to be any work.

BTW, I was at Jay as well this weekend. No lines, untracked snow everywhere I looked. :)

David Metsky said:
No, they won't. People just don't want to ski this time of year, except for the die hards. And the die hards have seasons passes, or cheap tickets. We (I'm one of them) don't pump a lot of money into the ski area this time of year. The real money is accommodations, and people will wait until they see the snow before booking. It's a crapshoot for the resorts.

You have to line up seasonal workers when they're already planning on working other seasonal jobs (mainly construction) so you have to guarantee them hours when the weather will dictate if there is going to be any work.

BTW, I was at Jay as well this weekend. No lines, untracked snow everywhere I looked. :)

Agreed. Ski resorts set their seasons based on economics, not weather. Many employees have plans after closing day, so it is difficult to adequately staff the resort. Plus, as mentioned, the majority of people skiing are season pass holders, so the resorts aren't accumulating revenue. It's always a little disappointed to be skiing a foot of fresh on closing day, knowing that so much more skiing COULD be had, but it's hard to convince people to pay for a lift ticket after April 1.

David Metsky said:

No kidding, I think I may have seen you on Saturday. The only reason I went all the way out to Jay was for the $39 Vermonter lift ticket. It had been about a month before i had been out last. I have nothing but praise for the great deals the mountain does, the awesome layout of the mountain, and the friendliness of the staff. Great place! They also gave me an extra day of skiing for free! $39 total for 2 days. Definitely going back up next year!

Sugarloaf is getting absolutely hammered..........about 50 inches since Friday !!! I've seen reports that they need snowcats to clear some of the roads and they're having trouble keeping chairlift loading/unloading areas cleared out because they've laid off all the seasonal help. This weekend should be EPIC !!!

Don't know how deep the snow is, but Mt. Washington is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL from downtown Portland at the moment!

Hadda tell someone. :eek:

The live webcam of Mt. Washington from N. Conway is an incredible view right now, bright white against a pristine blue sky. This is the only webcam currently working, unfortunately.