Snow Amounts update please?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chocorua is looking awesome too...did a quick hike up to Great Hill during lunch...still a lot of snow out there, about 1 foot of packed snow at those lower elevations.

Mattl said:
The snowfall this spring is amazing! Hermit Lake is at 72 inches at the stake, and thats after a lot of settling. I am baffled at why every ski area except Wildcat closed in NH..There is more snow now then all winter and the last 2 years. Maybe they think since there isn't snow at people houses and its so late in the year people wont come. I dont know.... -Mattl

During spring of 1969, Wildcat picked up about 3 feet of new snow the last two weeks of MAY, and RE-opened for Memorial Day weekend, when we skied continuously from the from Washington's summit parking lot to Pinkham, including the Little Headwall. We also skied Tucks on August 1st that summer.

Mad Townie said:
Don't know how deep the snow is, but Mt. Washington is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL from downtown Portland at the moment!

Hadda tell someone. :eek:

Do know how deep the snow is ("deep enuf"), and Mt. Washington was STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL today from the bottom of Tuckerman Ravine.

Several hundred close friends and I gathered there for the Inferno. What, me, a notorious iconoclast caught up in the Inferno mob? Yup, to shoot video of some coworkers on one of the teams. Personally, I cannot comprehend what it must take to do that event as a solo racer.

And for anyone who might be wondering -- the Saco was numbingly cold today. Watched a few paddlers fall out of their boats and into the water at the takeout and then move disturbingly slowly to gain the shore. Their legs were that frigid from earlier dunkings.

Otherwise a spectacular day in the mountains (haven't heard any after-action reports yet re: any mishaps in the Ravine . . .)

Allot, climbed Madison and Adams on 4/21, here are some photos. I personally have not been on the Presi's before where you could walk up a snow field to the summits without boulder scrambling (since I do not go on those peaks during the heart of winter, love to go in April where it is still a bit wintery but not too cold).

I skied at Okemo today(closing day) and I understand why it was closing day. Even though there is a lot of snow out there, skiing in 75-80 degree temps is not easy. There were rivers and ponds in the trails by afternoon and skiing water filled slush is a lot of work, although pond skimming is a great way to cool off!!!
There were also only a few people on the mountain, so it's not like they're making money. Don't get me wrong though, we had a great day, lots of fun and sunburn. Great skiing with my father and sons.

Winter has officially ended for me.

Wildcat was OPEN yesterday.

LOTS of snow on wildcat ridge yesterday - usually hip-deep. Snowshoes made it bearable, but still very tough going - about six hours to reach D peak via E, and I had someone ahead of me breaking trail most of that time. A few tough blowdowns, plenty of scratches from "low" branches. Anyone following my tracks, DON'T follow the bushwhack after the first glimpse of the lifts - backtrack and find the trail diverging slightly more easterly.

Snowboarded down the Wildcat ski trail after closing time (carrying the board made the bushwhack quite interesting), but did not like the feel of the very wet snow, especially as it started to harden in the shade.

Some bare spots showing near the top of Mt W, but way more snow up there than usual this time of year. Adams and Madison were completely white.

Seventy degrees - snowshoes and no shirt (untl the wind increased late in the day). Pretty sweet.

Quietman said:
Even though there is a lot of snow out there, skiing in 75-80 degree temps is not easy. There were rivers and ponds in the trails by afternoon and skiing water filled slush is a lot of work . . .

What you say about Okemo pretty well describes the strenuous hour+ I put in at Sunday River Sat. morning, from 8:30 to a little before 10, except it was around 70 (but felt like 85). I thought I'd be early enough to catch some semi-firm surfaces somewhere, at least, but all their trails were fully exposed, the unclouded, late April sun had been beating down for a few hours and all was slush. Still, the overall experience is great - they had the patio grills cranked and smoking by 9:30!

They close next Sunday, and the skiing is free that day. Can't beat that price (but bring your rock skis - I saw a number of them Sat. morning).

sli74 said:
Brian and I are thinking about heading up to NH to go backpacking but are curious what the snowfalls amounts are like from this storm today. Anyone in the Whites have some estimates for us? Thank you in advance.

sli74
Since it's been over a week since the big storm, the snow has melted in the lower elevations. Tomorrow we're planning a 9 mile shoe hike up Livermore. I'll report back and let you know how much we needed the shoeshoes. I suspect in the higher elevations, there will be a ton of snow.

skibones said:
Since it's been over a week since the big storm, the snow has melted in the lower elevations. Tomorrow we're planning a 9 mile shoe hike up Livermore. I'll report back and let you know how much we needed the shoeshoes. I suspect in the higher elevations, there will be a ton of snow.

You suspect right. This past Saturday, Larry D and I experienced 4-5 feet of snow on the the Brunel Trail, just north of the Kanc. It was snowshoes all the way, but got really deep above 2200 feet. A wild ride, indeed :cool: WATCH FOR SPRUCE TRAPS!! :)

Regards,
Marty

Greely Ponds

There was lots of snow at Greely Ponds this weekend - Better cover than I've seen in several years. The center of the ponds had a layer of blue slush over the remaining ice, but the snow was still deep around the edges. There was a little open water on each pond, where several pairs of ducks were waiting for more snow to clear so they could build their nests.

The norther access (from the Kanc) was well covered, with skis starting to break through only at the lower elevations. Towards Waterville Valley, the snow is't quite as deep, but skis or snow shoes are definitely required.

I found 3-5 feet of snow even as low as 2000-2500 feet in elevation in central New Hampshire. With the warm temps, you will sink to your hips without snowshoes. Even with snowshoes, I found it quite challenging moving through the heavy stuff.