Volunteer Pemi Bridge Work Site Clean Up Planning Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't do it on that weekend (Justice's Birthday) - but if you have enough volunteers who can, don't let that stop you. Just keep us posted on what you decide :)

Legality?

OK, I understand any volunteers involved are just trying to do the "right thing." And, I appreciate the intent of this thread. I also admire anyone who thinks they really can remove/drag something this big without any 21st-century mechanical assistance. I would assume any volunteers will need to sign a waiver or be trained by the FS how to handle the awkward loads which differ remarkably from moving a litter or maintaining a trail.

However, I still need to understand - is this legal based on the age of the debris? Doesn't it extend past the 50-year magic date? Based on the age of the remains, is this thread really asking for people to participate in an illegal activity? People wouldn't be allowed to remove any other remains older than 50 years... how is this different?

Reactions: TCD
Gimme a break, Becca -- no one is being asked to participate in anything illegal.

Yes, it's as simple as people finding an opportunity to invest some of their time and effort into something they feel for them is worthwhile

The USFS will be there for guidance, that's been stated

The question of liability is a good one and I following up on it

Please, if you are interested on participating that's Great- you are welcome and appreciated.

If you are here to be a spirit crusher to those who do see this as an opportunity to do something that maybe involves less commitment than adopting a whole trail-- please don't do that.

Start a new thread if you would like, I think it may be more appropriate.

OK, I understand any volunteers involved are just trying to do the "right thing." And, I appreciate the intent of this thread. I also admire anyone who thinks they really can remove/drag something this big without any 21st-century mechanical assistance. I would assume any volunteers will need to sign a waiver or be trained by the FS how to handle the awkward loads which differ remarkably from moving a litter or maintaining a trail.

However, I still need to understand - is this legal based on the age of the debris? Doesn't it extend past the 50-year magic date? Based on the age of the remains, is this thread really asking for people to participate in an illegal activity? People wouldn't be allowed to remove any other remains older than 50 years... how is this different?

Last edited:
Moderator Note

This is the thread for you if:
- You wish to participate or offer encouragement, advice or caution to this project
- You wish to ask questions about the logistics, liability, or coordination of the effort

This is NOT the thread for you if:
- You wish to add commentary on the need for this project
- You wish to comment on Forest Service policy or the original bridge removal

Please respect the intent of the thread. We're not trying to discourage the topics mentioned above, just route them to the appropriate venue. There already is another active thread for those issues and we encourage posters to add their thoughts.

Also, keep in mind that this is not an official VFTT project. This is something that a member here has taken the initiative to work out with the Forest Service as a project for the common good.

Thanks in advance,

-dave-

Glad to see this post pulled back on track!

Great job getting this going, Sabrina! I would be happy to lend a hand cleaning up the trail - sign me up. Like the several good folks who have already answered, it will depend on the day and if I can get that time off. Just let us know! :D

Gimme a break, Becca -- no one is being asked to participate in anything illegal.

Becca has a legitimate point--the bridge parts have been there for over 50 years and could be covered by the Federal Antiquities Act. I'd get a legal opinion before trying to remove it.

Doug

July 16 or 17th are good for me.

As for liability, I think that we would be covered by the Volunteers in Parks/Volunteers in Forests program, which is the same program that covers Adopters, but I'm not sure about that.

July 16 or 17th are good for me.

As for liability, I think that we would be covered by the Volunteers in Parks/Volunteers in Forests program, which is the same program that covers Adopters, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks, Jason! I'm thinking along the same lines, will know for sure in a few days.

How many of us so far who are interested are adopters??

BTW, I believe there is a Wilderness Volunteers Group out there this week working on removing the cables amongst other projects in the Pemi, someone made mention of it last Saturday at the Gale River work day. FWIW, a pretty neat looking non profit organization with projects all through out the US...

http://www.wildernessvolunteers.org/php/projects.php

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to...but not sure yet. Once you find out the date, lemme know. I will either be working Saturday, or Sunday (don't know yet), and if I am free, I'd love to find a way there. What a fantastic idea.

Sabrina,

I could participate on any of the weekends/days you posted. I just need to know as soon as possible to put it on the calendar before Kim finds other things for me to do.

Woody

I am interested in helping out with this effort and could probably participate any of the above mentioned dates. I would be interested in discussing what the strategy is for the actual removal of the debris. Some basic evaluation of the site and an assessment of that evaluation seems prudent. I have picked up Railroad ties before and they are extremely heavy..Duh:D. Would it be possible to saw them up first into smaller pieces. Also would a removal under Winter sliding/sledding conditions be more feasible? Also maybe smaller but multiple efforts maybe more feasible. Only suggestions. Again I think some discussion concerning a removal strategy would be wise and prudent which may facilitate a better understanding of what this undertaking requires; and therfore may attract more volunteers.

Wayne -- you read my mind!

I am going to take a walk out there in the coming week and make a detailed list of what's out there.

I will share that with my contacts on the USFS volunteer program; and find out exactly what will be within our scope.

I will bring that info back to this group, along with pictures, an we can discuss our approach.

Thanks for the suggestions and interest!

A couple people have brought up that this stuff might be very heavy. Bring your work gloves, and while you're making the list, try (carefully) seeing if you can lift some of these things. I'm not saying that to be discouraging, but to suggest that it would be good to know what you're dealing with. Construction material, especially old stuff, can be shockingly heavy, and you want to know that going in, so you can have a realistic plan.

A couple people have brought up that this stuff might be very heavy. Bring your work gloves, and while you're making the list, try (carefully) seeing if you can lift some of these things. I'm not saying that to be discouraging, but to suggest that it would be good to know what you're dealing with. Construction material, especially old stuff, can be shockingly heavy, and you want to know that going in, so you can have a realistic plan.

Good call- I was thinking the same thing!

I am willing to help.
Skiguy beat me to the punch.
Many questions.
Let's just take a lookie and see what is under those tarps so we know what we are dealing with.
Evaluate first.
Take some pics. Are there piles on both sides of the river ?
I'm assuming some things are going to have to be cut up to pack out.
Lumber and cable are heavy.
Personally, I think they should have a wilderness exempt weekend and just get all the crap out of there, but....
What are the rules ?
No more than 10, I know.
Do they allow battery powered tools ?
Will the FS pick up the the crap at the wilderness boundary line ?

If I were to participate on this, It would be one day, cutting up bite-sized chunks ( after bug-season please ) and another day, after a good snow-pack, hauling this stuff out. I can haul 3 times the weight on a sled as I can on my back.
Don't get me wrong.
I have camped many times on the E. Pemi before. Cedar brook is a favorite of mine.
I just wonder, now that the bridge has been eliminated, no one will go down there anymore, anyways. No one will see the remains and ultimately, no one will have a wilderness buzz-kill experience. Is it worth it ?
I'd like to think it is but, I don't know.
I will be watching to see what you find out.
Still like to help.

we could have Bearly Live out there ... with Caveman and MarcHowes in charge of the bonfire, that evil bridge would be history inside a half hour :)

we could have Bearly Live out there ... with Caveman and MarcHowes in charge of the bonfire, that evil bridge would be history inside a half hour :)

Ahhh.... Who would be the lucky ten in the audience? ;-)

Just an update-- a volunteer agreement will be drawn up by the USFS -- same one that covers adopters

It will include a job hazard analysis so folks know what the risks may be

Sawing and packing to the boundary is the preliminary idea - the USFS has big field packs we may use

I will know more in a few days after I have been out there

Great ideas, everyone--- thanks!