Tripyramid North Slide, Dec 4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Significantly harder than I expected. Spent about three hours on the slide itself (half a mile).

full text

Hey Dave M, that curly tree on the Livermore trail is still there and seems healthy, considering.

Last edited:
Wow, those are conditions I wouldn't be happy with. Glad you guys made it safely. Keep in mind, people sometime ski that. :eek:

-dave-

Whew!

I'm glad you survived to tell the tale! I remember the north slide well. I'm not surprised you were having conversations with yourself. The tripyramids have a way of causing internal dialogue. It was on the north slide that I remember thinking to myself, "This isn't hiking, this is rock climbing!" and wished I had brought the appropriate gear, and that was in the summer when it was a walk in the park compared to what you did. I've only hiked 22 of the 48 4Ks so far, but I still consider the tripyramids the most difficult to date, much more difficult than my hike up Washington. I am very glad that you're ok.

Sounds like 1 of those experiences you're glad you did...AFTER you've done it & you're in a well-heated living room w/ a warm meal.

Appreciated the insights on how you coped w/ these obstacles.

Good one

Great report!

Yes, that is a fun slide for the Whites. I didn't find it too challenging when I did it last fall compared slides in the Adirondacks, but it did have a few slab sections that were a bit steeper. I think this is a great one to start out on for those interested in friction climbs because there are a few brief sections where you rely on just fricton and there is nothing to hold on to.

Nice TR!

Hi Dave, Thank you for the fun hike and the very nice trip report! It was a day well spent!

I don't mind doing it or anything like this again!

Glad you got back safely. looking at doing Tripyramids likelin mid to late January, likely Saturday after MLK. Plan is up South & down Pine Pend. Chomp & I did it few (1999 actually) December 12th's ago same way up South.

Anyone have an opinion on possibility of South Slide having Avy danger?

Would it be better to go up from Kanc on Sabbaday Falls?