The Buzz over Buzz Caverly's Successor

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Percival Baxter's relatives are complaining that the Baxter State Park advisory committee has been shut out of the selection process for the new BSP director to replace Buzz Caverly; BSP argues that confidentiality precludes public participation in the review of the 70 candidates and that Percy created no formal role for the family in such decisions. We'll see who prevails.

Thanks for posting that Waumbek.

A couple of weeks ago when that story broke I heard the tail end of it on NPR but couldn't then find anything about it in the Bangor Daily News or on the NPR site. I'm glad to finally see the details of it.

In my opinion the family has nothing to do with the park (despite some of them sitting on a what seems to be more of a honorary than toothy advisory board). Baxter left many things to his family. The park was not one of them.

If we the public knew how to manage parks we wouldn't have to protect them from ourselves like we do.

spencer

I didn't realize that the Advisory Committee consisted largely of Baxter heirs but thought it was a group of citizens with some interest and knowledge of the Park.

To exclude credible stakeholders under the guise of "confidentiality" is a mistake, I believe. There are ways to address this problem, "sanitizing" personal qualifications of applicants and soliciting idealized qualifications from such stakeholders for example. The mere appearance of political insider operation to the exclusion of the public would start the new director, no matter how noble the selection, off on the wrong foot.

"If we the public knew how to manage parks we wouldn't have to protect them from ourselves like we do." I would not be so optimistic that any group of three, especially one with such a public purpose as this one, knows best and the rest of the peons are irrelevant. I suspect, however, that the process is more open than the article suggests, at least I would hope that wisdom would prevail over bureaucratic convenience.

Buzz now has a successor: Jensen Bissell of Milo, a 17-year BSP veteran. No surprises, as Bissell has been the park's acting director since Buzz Caverly stepped down this summer.

While I have your attention, have you heard that The Nature Conservancy acquired 10,000 more acres in Hancock County including most of Tunk Mountain, making a 24,000 -acre contiguous preserve?

Well done all around.