To those looking at Mt Rainier...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I happen to be checking out the store in Ashford, which was called Summit Haus when we were there in 2005. It appears, they changed their name to Whittaker Mountaineering or simply assimilated their website with RMI/Whittaker. All I know is when I typed in summithaus.com, I got Whittakermountaineering.

In any case, I notice there is a forum there that has gear recs and lots of info on logistics in arriving at Ashford/Paradise, gear lists, RMI forums, etc. etc. Thought this would be helpful for those considering going, especially if through RMI...

http://www.bulletinboards.com/message.cfm?comcode=RMI

And the main website:

http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/

I got my Grivel G10s for like $80 from them awhile ago, they were exellent to deal with. Had a couple questions about the antibots and they sent me a pair for free.

Jay

Jay

Thanks Jay....I'm bookmarking the site..

I purchased my used Koflach Degres and Grivel G10's from Summit Haus...I had a very informative conversation with the guy at SH (Matt?)....when I received my package, it had a hand written note from Matt.....The boots and crampons were in good shape and have plenty of wear left in them--saved over $250 by purchasing used!

...Jade

for your basic winter hiking stuff - 10 pointers (grivel or moser) should be perfect - while many of my pals use the stubai's, I am not sold on them for the NE with all the rock mixed in with ice.

i went to seattle for the first time a week ago. sadly despite getting stuck there an extra day because of the blizzard in the northeast, i didn't have time to hike. i was already sold on going back to hike rainier though...and that website just made me that much more excited about a completely hypothetical hiking trip. :D