What's this plant?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audrey said:
I've encountered this all over the Northeast, always in wet areas such as riverbanks and lake shores. The plant grows about 12 - 18", the flowers never seem to open.

The leaves look very much like a St.Johnswort (Hypericum), but I can't find it in my Newcomb's.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/548078061/2712801930070644097etrGbo
I believe you are correct, of the triadenum variety. Do a google search on "Fraser's Marsh St. Johnswort" and you should see a few examples.

"Fraser's Marsh St. Johnswort Triadenum fraseri - Native
This plant has purplish-pinkish flowers, but you will only see them at night because the flowers are pollinated by insects that are active at dusk and dawn. The flowers seem to be in bud throughout the summer if seen during the day. (Mid-summer)."

Last edited:
Wow! That's beautiful! I was waiting for someone to identify audrey's plant (nice picture). I've also seen it, but never opened. Now I've got an idea for this summer on an over-night hike; photograph this little spirit on a moonlit night. :) Thanks audrey and Nessmuck! :)

Happy Trails!