Leadership

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Rooney said:
3) Classified ad hike - someone suggests a hike, and people show up to share little more than trailbreaking tasks. No one's responsible for much of anything more than themselves. If you make a peak, get down OK, etc, only matters to you and your family.

I've been speaking about this one. #3. Because, an interesting thing happened on a trip I posted. One in particular with 5 individuals total. It was assumed that I was leading the trip because I posted it.
I recognized that and accepted the responsibility. It was really laid back and unassuming but the "leader" element was apparent to me.

On a different hike that I met some VFFT people unexpectedly when my hiking partners didn't show up. I tagged along with them. With their permission. There was a clear leader on that one. But, they all knew each other and were obviously all capable but still following navigational decisions of the assumed(?) appointed(?) leader. It was laid back and a very enjoyable day.

I showed up for another , somewhat expectedly, where skill levels varied widely. There was no leader. The person I assumed was going to be the leader was merrily enjoying his day without a care in the world. :)

One person actually turned back and waited in their car. Some people were very fast, some very slow. They started as a group but didn't end up that way. I had no idea when everyone in the initial group got out. I followed all of the messages leading up to the trip and was surprised that it ended up so fragmented. I definately had the impression on-line here that it was more of a group then it turned out to be. I had a good time, but I had to disconnect from my instincts a bit. The instincts to be aware of how everyone was doing from the safety and well-being perspective.
One guy really didn't look prepared, I though about him all day. Because, I didn't see him at all after 15 minutes into the trip.

If I knew the people beforehand and knew what to expect, it wouldn't have been an issue for me. It wasn't a problem, I was just aware of it.

Knowing the people you are hiking with is key. It eliminates alot of this stuff.

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
2) An arranged hike among friends/families/known individuals - in this scenario leadership is a shared responsibility, and in most cases is little more that organizing the mechanics of the hike. Members hike together for the comraderie/fellowship and shared safety of the group.

3) Classified ad hike - someone suggests a hike, and people show up to share little more than trailbreaking tasks. No one's responsible for much of anything more than themselves. If you make a peak, get down OK, etc, only matters to you and your family.

#2 is the type of situation I had in mind when I started up the thread and represents the bulk of my hiking experiences lately. Hikes like these actually do involve a "screening process" because they are usually set up via PM or e-mail.

The whole idea of (formal) organisational hiking (#1) sounds like it would defeat much of the purpose of why I like to go hiking. And I'd never be a good leader anyway.

#3 can be, and for me has been a lot of fun and laughs but you have to go into it with the right head space and with social goals in mind. I have posted some hikes this way and have met some pretty awesome hardcore hikers in the process.

One thing mentioned above about people not learning anything on a hike: I have learned something on just about every hike I've ever done and from people of all levels of experience and knowledge. (I confess, I have been a pest!) Is it possible that being hiker "#7 out of 10" and following the leader is not conducive to learning?
Unless the leader goes out of his way to be a teacher? And the follower goes out of his way to be a pupil?

Kevin Rooney said:
3) Classified ad hike - someone suggests a hike, and people show up to share little more than trailbreaking tasks. No one's responsible for much of anything more than themselves.

To me, if you reply to a "classified ad hike" then you show up and act like a group. Others who have replied may be counting on the fact that four people replied to go. It means helping out other members of the group the best you can. It means not leaving a group member 2 miles behind because everyone is faster. (unless this is cool with everybody in the group). It means sharing food because somebody forgot their lunch. It means helping to carry out one of the group members because they can't manage on their own.

However, to me, it also means that if you reply to a "classified ad hike" you show up prepared for the conditions at hand. In Winter that means snowshoes, perhaps crampons, and the rest of the winter essentials. Perhaps I'm doing more "prescreening" than I realize, in Winter when I email friends for hikes I usually list what I will be bringing in my pack as a reference for them to let them know what they will need. I don't get nearly as much of a response in Winter as I do in Summer.

ZeroG, I didn't feel you were ripping on me at all. If I was on that hike I would have been super pissed at the person who left the snowshoes in his/her car, especially because of how defiantly he/she did it.

-Shayne