Spider Bridge crossing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegematic

Reaction score
FYI:
I was in this area on a backpack about a month ago. All the bridge material has been removed. The Black Angel Trail has been relocated a short distance upstream where the river is much wider and shallower than at the former Bridge Site and should make for a managable ford under most conditions. From the brushing and blazing at the Relo it looks as though this is a permanent move and not a temporary work-around. I'm guessing the bridge will not be rebuilt.
-vegematic

This is consistent with Wilderness regulations and philosophy (and budget). I bet that it won't be rebuilt.

Vegematic, thanks for the info. My question, is there still a bridge somewhere downriver from that closer to where the Wild River road ends (or slightly before)? I seem to remember crossing somewhere there and heading up the highwater trail to the Moriah Brook trail.
I'm concerned about where to cross on the way back from a possible loop that starts on the Basin Rim trail, passes Eagle Craig, Perkins Notch and up the Carter range and back down towards the valley and evetually to the Basin trail to finish.

Thanks,
Chas.

I'll miss that bridge...I always liked the name of it and my wife remembers it as a nice place to go skinny dipping....though I don't if she'll appreciate me mentioning that....Opps...

There is, if I recall correctly, another bridge further downstream. There are two trail crossings below the former Spider Bridge location and one is a ford, the other has a bridge.

The danger of the other bridge is that it lets you out on the far side of Cypress Brook, on the Highwater Trail, and in high water ironically that brook is impassable. So if you're further up the Wild River Trail in wet weather, keep that in mind.

chas said:
My question, is there still a bridge somewhere downriver from that closer to where the Wild River road ends (or slightly before)? I seem to remember crossing somewhere there and heading up the highwater trail to the Moriah Brook trail.
Yes, the Moriah Brook Trail crosses on a suspension bridge, at least until the next washout :)

As of 1 March the Moriah Bridge was still there and quite sound. We've not had any particularly high water since then so I'd assume it's still there.

I'm another one that will miss the Spider Bridge. I've had a long and inexplicable fascination with it.

Spider Bridge October 2004
-vegematic

Spider Bridge

From 1984 to 1987 or so I was the adopter of the Black Angel Trail. Spider Bridge was a favorite lunch spot of mine. In those days one was able to drive way up the Wild River trail and park at the end very almost at the bridge. I guess with the forthcoming wilderness designation the Wild River Trail mountain biking days will be over. I once did a loop of the Wild River Trail which took me into Jackson, up over Pinkham Notch and back into Wild River via 302 and WR road. Dawn to dark. Ah for the good old days when I was young, fit, and lots more foolish.