Mt. Prospect, Holderness, NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
Or is it Campton?

Anyways....Whats the best way up it? Off Mt. Prospect Road I assume, across from the Holderness school. Any landmarks to look for when finding the trailhead? Any views from the top to speak of? Whats the elevation?

I'm pretty sure I can see it from my living room window in Plymouth.

Any info appreciated...

I use UNH Historic Maps website a lot. It's one of several historic maps sites on internet. It shows elevation to 2070'. Here's a link to the site. It shows historic USGS maps for New England states. I think of it as poor mans Topozone. Fortunately elevations don't change much over time, although aerial photos and satellites used today yield more accurate maps. Most cases though it's close enough for what I need. In areas I hike the roads don't change that much either. If you have an interest in historic aspects of terrrain then this site is a goldmine.

http://docs.unh.edu/NH/plym31sw.jpg

As to views I've never visited it, but they didn't name it Prospect Mt for nothing. I have a Prospect Hill near my house in Waltham MA and it features great views of Boston and surrounding areas. Of course when it was named area was probably heavly logged and views were better. One side of hill appears to be cliff like so you can certainly see thru the trees or perhaps land owners keep the summit open for the tourists. Propsoect Hill near my house was getting overgrown and views were gone when we first moved here 15 years ago but since then the city has cleared the top to bring back the views. Not a bad policy in my mind. Should do this more places. Berkshires peaks could use some haircuts.

Tdawg:
I used to go to Plymouth, and hiked Mt Prospect, about a year ago. It was a very nice route that ascends very gradually and has a beautiful spruce/fir forest at the top. There may even be some old growth up there. I can't exactly remember how to get there, because I went with a class who was doing some tests along the trail, while I just tagged along and hiked the mountain :D . But the views are quite surprising...there are limited views north up to Fran. Notch and gorgeous views of the northern Lakes region and beyond. And yes, I took a ton of pics.

Mt Prospect

grouseking

There is/was an easy route up an old trail from the W. The land was posted but we obtained permission from the then-owner who lived next to the trailhead. Views were not that impressive, but we went to Misers Cave which had a side chamber too small for me to check out.

It has also been climbed from the E.