Sam's Point Preserve 6-17-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
I had serveral hours to kill Saturday, I decided to check out Sam's point preserve. I arrived around 8:20. The visitors center was not yet open so I parked outside the gate in the small parking area. The sky's were gray and the temperature was still cool. I knew it was supposed to get hot later, so I had plenty of water and lightened my load by eliminating some gear I thought would be unneccessry, including my gaitors.

I started up the Loop Road. This is a roughly paved road with a easy grade. Soon I came to an Area with many radio towers on the left. To the right there were some rock ledges. I scrambled up the ledges at got a nice view of Lake Maratanza. Views to the east were quite hazy. I continued on past the last of the communication towers. After this the road became more rough, but almost level. There were many birds singing. Soon it started to rain lightly. It was comming down so lightly I did not need any rain gear, it was actually quite refreshing. About an hour after I had started, I reached the trail junction to the High Point. It was a short climb to reach the open rock slabs. With the rain and low clouds there views were not great. I can only imagine how great the views towards the Catskills would be on a clear day.

The rain increased a bit so I put on my rain hat. I started on the trail through the blueberry bushes. This is when I passed the first hiker of the day. I soon realized the mistake of leaving the gaiters in the car. The wet bushes brushing my legs soaking the wet. In about 1/2 an hour were boots were filled with water. I stopped to empty the water from my shoes and put on my rain gear. I could here voices approaching on the trail. Soon a group of Boy Scouts passed, on a day hike. They were in a hurry and did not stop to talk. Now I continued, much more comfortable then before.

When I reached a large lookout in The Badlands area I stopped to check what views there were, but stoopped whatching exactly were I was going. Once I was done checking the views I could not find the paint blazes on the rocks or any of the cairns that had been marking the trail. I backtracked untill I found where I had entered the rock slabs and then found the blazes and continued. I spent about 5 minutes trying to find the trail again.

Eventually I came to the trail Juction where the green and red blazed trails met. This was also a good view point, I only wished the haze was gone. By this time the rain had stopped. From here the trail dropped rapidly and the vegitation changed from the scrub pines and blue berry bushes to decidious forest. I continued toward the Verkeerder Kill Falls. Once I reached the falls I stopped to take a break. I removed my rain coat and spread it on a rock to dry as a Ate an energy bar and took some pictures. Soon a couple from Australia came by. I had an intersting conversation with them as they were setting up the new camera equipment.

After spending nearly 1/2 an hour at the falls I continued, now heading towards Sam's point. The sun was struggling to make an appearance, the temperature and humidity were noticingly increasing. It was now about 1:00 PM. Soon I passed several more small groups of people heading to the falls. A bout a mile later the trail open up to blueberry bushes and scub pines again. The warm tempertures had dryed the bushes and I was getting hot, so I stopped to remove my rain pants. After I while a came to the road that leads to the Ice Caves.

It was about a 1/2 mile to the ice caves along the Shale covered road. This is how I remember the Gunks from my younger days, Hot and Dry with no protection from the sun! I was glad when I reached the entrance to the icecaves.

As I desended down the Ladders and stone steps the cool air blasting in my face. At the bottom of the main descent, I left the main path to explore some of the crevasses. I was glad I had my headlamp, It allowed me to explore some of the more remote areas. I was actually startiing to get a bit cold, so I headed back to the main trail. I continued on, checking out some of the other places when I could feel the cool air coming out from deep in the earth. None of these were as expansive as the first network of caves I explored.

After I left the caves I headed the trudge back up the road. I was starting to get a little tired at this point, but I decided to check out the east side of Lake Maratanza. I took of my shoes and waded knee deep into the water. I though the water would be colder than it was. I splashed myself with water to cool off and dipped my hat in the water. Feeling refreshed I headed out on the home stretch. I had an appointment to make so I kept a steady pace. Soon I reached Sam's Point, stopping just long enough to snap a couple of pictures. I hurried on down the switchback road to the parking area.

I got back to my car just in time to make my appointment. I was surprised when I checked my milage. I had hiked almost 11 miles. Without the elevation I am used to it did not seem that far. This was my first trip to Sam's Point. I need to go back on a clear day when the blueberries are ripe.

Pictures

Last edited:
imarchant said:
As I desended down the Ladders and stone steps the cool air blasting in my face. At the bottom of the main descent, I left the main path to explore some of the crevasses. I was glad I had my headlamp, It allowed me to explore some of the more remote areas. I was actually startiing to get a bit cold, so I headed back to the main trail. I continued on, checking out some of the other places when I could feel the cool air coming out from deep in the earth. None of these were as expansive as the first network of caves I explored.
Looking at your pictures, I can't quite tell if there was ice/snow in the caves??

Tom Rankin said:
Looking at your pictures, I can't quite tell if there was ice/snow in the caves??

I did not see any ice or snow. Actually I was thinking, since the temperature underground remains constant year round any snow that enters probably melts soon after it enters. Also this year we did not get that much snow.

imarchant said:
I did not see any ice or snow. Actually I was thinking, since the temperature underground remains constant year round any snow that enters probably melts soon after it enters. Also this year we did not get that much snow.
The temperature underground at sufficient depths remains constant, but I doubt that applies here, in what is essentially a system of crevices, and not a true cave.

Also, the 'caves' are exposed to the normal air temperature in the winter (and very little sunshine), and they do retain snow and ice very late into the year in general.

They used to be helped by the owners of the property, who covered them up once the snow stopped falling in the spring.

Nice TR. SPPP is a pretty nice place. We went there a few times with our little one in either a stroller or backpack. The day we wanted to finally check out the caves, the NY spelunking club was in their with all kinds of gear, cleaning them up. We decided to go back another day for a cave trip, but have never made it. Your TR has reminded me to put this on the to-do list for a hot summer day!!!
Thanks
Rick