Houghton Mtn. of Southern Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
For Houghton Mountain in Vermont, what is the most commonly used starting point for that bushwhack? I'm considering heading in on the logging roads from the northeast. According to Delorme, these seem to lead just about to the foot of the mountain. If anyone has gone this way, do the less used sections of these timbering roads tend to get overgrown or become difficult to follow?

Plus, while I'm in the area, I'm also considering heading up Readsboro Peak. It appears to be a straightforward 'whack up from the highpoint on Route 8. Is there anything I should be mindful of when doing this mountain?

Last edited:
Vermont bushwhacks

Houghton has quite a few logging roads on it and the trip is pretty easy from the east. Readsboro, often known as Cemetery Peak can be done from a side road leading to a transformer station and can be something of a pleasant ridgewalk with an even partly defined path presumably due to hunters.

Is Cemetery Peak so named because there's a graveyard on its summit or at its base? Also, is the transformer station access road nearer Heartwellville or the high point on Route 8?

By my incredibly faulty memory at this point.

There was a cemetery near the transformer access and the road was near the hight of land. What I mostly recall is a long flat ridgewalk on an almost open ridge before we finally found the register. Either the Vermont atlas was a little off on the road location or else we started from an incorrect place compared to where I though I was.

Note that the peak E of Rte.8 has a wind research tower very near the summit for a proposed extension of the Searsburg wind farm, there is an ATV path from the wind farm. Note that the wind farm is posted (as will be the 3119 peak most likely if the extension is granted, bag it now along with 2923 across the road). To legally access the E peak, don't start from the cemetery but walk S down Rte. 8 to the town line/Forest boundary, see my trip report from last winter.

I climbed Houghton from the SW because I did it with Hoosac and Klondike, even found a skid road to the summit which has probably grown up in 25 years. That road is now posted private with new house construction.

Readsboro Peak

I guess I'm a little unsure about what part of Readsboro Mountain is truly closed to public access. I called Green Mountain Power (who operates the windfarm) earlier today, and spoke with their public relations person regarding what their visitation policies are. I'm under the impression that she doesn't speak with many hikers, but I did find out that due to the agreement they have to use the land, only people in guided groups are allowed to visit the facility. I asked if it would be okay to bushwhack up to the south peak via a route that stays far away from the whole developed side of the mountain, but she told me that in order to minimize the impact on the local wildlife, all visitors to the mountain had to be in guided tours.

On a related note, in addition to Readsboro and East Mountains, what other 3k peaks in New England am I not allowed to climb?

Last edited:
Roy, I found out why I initially never found your trip report for your hike up Readsboro - because you called it the Fairington Cemetery East Peak and never used the word "Readsboro" once in your description of the hike.

As for Houghton, I wandered up there on July 29. I ended up following my original game plan of heading in from the northeast. Because the road I wanted to use wasn't named in the atlas, I had to guess that it was Williams Road in Readsboro, and fortunately I was correct. It's the last road on the left before Routes 8 and 100 split at Heartwellville. Once it passes by the houses it becomes Recreational Road #73 and goes into the woods for a few miles. It's a dirt road with some roughish sections, but nothing really threatening, and I was able to drive my small car all the way to where it becomes a jeep road and a driveway leads off to the left to a private camp.

According to Delorme, it would be a short way further ahead until I reached a logging road on the left that would lead me all the way to the east side of Houghton. However, in walking along the jeep road, I never did find this. The one thing that looked like it could be it merely turned into a backway entrance to the private camp. I ended up following the old road until it brought me about as close as it was going to get to Houghton, then turned off onto an old skidder road. I followed this for about a quarter mile, but then it started to head away from my destination and was petering out, so I started my bushwhack there. I was in a deciduous woods, but because of the understory of low trees/bushes, it wasn't quite smooth sailing (to this day, my standard of truly open woods is the high point of the Hoosac Range).

After 10-15 minutes of navigating around and pushing stuff out of my way, I stumbled upon an old logging road. This may have been the one I was initially looking for. Having subsequently looked at an older atlas, I observed that my target logging road grows indistinct just before reaching the jeep road. Regardless, the old road I found was headed in the same direction I was, so I began following it. It passed through some wet areas, but otherwise it wasn't too bad initially. However, once it started climbing up to the col between Houghton and the lower mountain to the east, it became horribly, horribly overgrown with raspberry bushes and other prickly things and tall bushes that were the better part of my height. I quickly regretted wearing shorts, and the going became gruellingly slow. After about 100 meters of this with no abatement in sight, I cut a beeline for the nearest woods. Once there, I had to cross a few equally horribly overgrown skidder paths before I was finally free from the malicious weeds.

By this point I was climbing up something, so I kept going. Once at the top, I hoped I was near the canister, but then the GPS told me I still had 0.7 to go. Due to all the leaves, I couldn't see where a higher point could be, so luckily I had the GPS to roughly point the way (since it constantly disagrees with itself in what direction the destination is). I dropped into a col, then kind of passed by another subsidiary peak before finally ascending the main summit cone. I was most of the way to the true summit, when I stumbled upon an ATV trail, which was coming in from the south/west. I wish I'd known that was there! It led me to within 400 feet of the canister, and from there it wasn't too difficult to make my way to the register and the buggy summit. Due to all the flies, I didn't stay long, so soon enough I was headed off the summit cone again.

Based on my experience on the way up, I knew I didn't want to return to that old logging road, and unfortunately the ATV trail wasn't heading in a useful direction. I ultimately set a course directly for where I started my bushwhack, following the main ridge north. I didn't do a very good job of staying on top of it (at the time I was simply trying to take the shortest path), and instead slabbed along its western side. Again, my progress was slowed by understory of vegetation, which did a decent job of obscuring blowdowns. I crossed the occasional skidder path, but thankfully none of these were as overgrown as what was lurking on the eastern side of the mountain. Just overall, it proved to a straightforward walk back to where I started the bushwhack, and once there, I was quickly back at the car.

Overall, the bushwhack to Houghton was tougher than I thought it would be, and if I could do it again, I'd try to use the ATV trail I found. Then again, I have no idea where it comes out or what private property it crosses.

Readsboro/Fairington peak

Nate said:
I guess I'm a little unsure about what part of Readsboro Mountain is truly closed to public access.
I guess I should have linked to the proposed wind farm note:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7742

Anyway the map on page 11 of this GMNF document shows that the summit is FS land and for now can be climbed legally:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/nepa_p...e_documentation/deerfield_scoping_7_11_05.pdf

The free tours of the wind project are fascinating but they only go to the wind towers not the summit.

As for Houghton...

Nate said:
I was able to drive my small car all the way to where it becomes a jeep road and a driveway leads off to the left to a private camp.
when I stumbled upon an ATV trail, which was coming in from the south/west. I wish I'd known that was there! It led me to within 400 feet of the canister,
Overall, the bushwhack to Houghton was tougher than I thought it would be, and if I could do it again, I'd try to use the ATV trail I found. Then again, I have no idea where it comes out or what private property it crosses.
I took the road toward Stamford Pond from the N when I climbed the 2970 peak some 20 years ago, it was no great bargain even then. I think it was a continuation of the driveway from the private camp.

I think the ATV trail you found probably follows the old skid road I found, once again after coming up a different way in my case the SE ridge. But this meant I could follow it down which I did and it was a L fork off the road I walked up which was a logging road then but is now a driveway signed "Private Road" which of course it was when I walked it too. There are tradeoffs between asking permission and just walking a longer route and which I choose depends on my mood and the weather.