Funny .... this doesn't feel like a bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimom

Reaction score
Headed up to Reddington last week using Mohammed’s directions, which may seem a bit complicated to read, but are very accurate and easy to follow once there.

Exactly 1.1 miles from the AT crossing is the fork on the logging road. The cairn marking the road to the left is hidden in the overgrown brush, but it’s still there.

From there, we walked just over a mile along the road to the next fork, which heads around Caribou Pond. The bridge on the left was in bad shape; however, some 4-wheelers had gone over it that day.

We headed up to the right still following the old logging trail and Mohammed’s directions. The logging trails are very easy to walk and are not overgrown much at all.

At each junction, there are cairns and arrows on the ground made with sticks that make this bushwhack an easy trail walk. On the last leg of the hike, the “trail to the right” is very clear. Blowdowns have been cleared away and small trees and brush have been cut back. Somebody has been doing some serious maintenance.

All in all, a very easy walk up and down. I laughed every time my kids commented on how easy this bushwhacking business was. They would soon find out otherwise when we attempted Spaulding via bushwhacking from CVR, but that’s another story.

Once at the top, we were more than a bit disappointed. I really thought I had done my homework on this peak, but I guess I had missed some information. We were taken aback by all the metal debris, cords, and trash scattered all about as well as the small tree graveyard. Very disappointing.

On the way down, we contemplated bushwhacking over to S. Crocker, but decided to head down the way we had come up since my son had stashed some rocks he wanted but didn’t want to carry to the top.

Great first bushwhack intro for the kids although so easy it was misleading for them. They asked a few times when we would start walking thru the woods!! A really fun day in the mountains.

http://community.webshots.com/album/553168075BXBTrc

skimom, looks like a great day out with the ski-kids. They want something to whack? Bring 'em over here to the Dacks!

Thanks for the pics, too. Gave me an understanding of what's in store. Though I hadn't expected the road system to look like a real road system. Oh well, at least the trip over the Crockers will provide some action.

Now. I want to hear about this Spaulding adventure!? :eek:

Some fun pictures.... If they are Ski-Kids, then can we abbreviate and call them Skids? :)

Jay