Liberty & Flume on a Friday afternoon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
Liberty & Flume 9/1/2006

I am so sick of unpacking and felt a NEED to get away from the sea of boxes calling my name, demanding to be opened and emptied of their contents. So having today off from work, and it offering possibly the best weather of the weekend, I decided to hike. One of the advantages of living up here now is that I can hike AND actually get other things done too in the same day! The cable guy came at 9 and reconnected me to cyber space, the plumber came at 10 and made sure my gas fireplace was working properly, I ran some errands, filled my car with gas, and drove to the southern end of the notch. I was on the trailhead for Liberty & Flume at 12:15. Clouds marched quietly across the sky allowing the sun to shine from time to time. The Whitehouse, Liberty Spring, and Franconia Ridge Trails were dry and easily traversed, stream crossings were no problem, and trail signs were well placed. I met the Liberty Spring Campground caretaker, Anthony, who was doing some trail maintenance. He was extremely nice and we chatted for a little bit. I passed over a half dozen people on the way up, and probably about the same number were coming down.

One guy who said he had sprained his ankle came down slowly with two hiking sticks, having dropped his pack earlier to reduce the weight on his ankle. I offered to help, but he said he had taken some ibuprofen, called his family (some of whom were in the parking lot), and expected one of them to go back for his pack. He thanked me for my offer for help, but said he didn't need it and continued on. So did I.

I arrived at the open ledges where you get your first glimpse of Liberty’s majestic summit. Wow! I was impressed! Liberty was everything I imagined she would be - a massive rocky outcrop, strong and impressive, deserving of having Old Glory fly from her summit every day of the year proudly proclaiming her name and what it stands for. I continued onto the summit and sat on one of the many stone seats she offers. Eating my pb&j sandwich and orange, I looked out at a 360 degree view that offered amazing vistas of the many mountains I have already visited. Bondcliff was bathed in sunlight, Mt. Bond smiling from above it, with West Bond nearby. Guyot sat back relaxing, while South Twin taunted me to test my knees on it again. North Twin snickered next door. Galehead looked out over the Pemi, Garfield stood tall like a guardian, while the rest of Franconia Ridge looked back to see who was on its more southern end. Owl’s Head slept.

I looked over at Flume. It looked desolate, barren, and cold. I decided to continue on, grabbing a “twofer” for the day. The trail over was interesting with some steep downs and ups interspersed with fairly level footing. The hike up Flume was more gradual than I knew the hike back to Liberty would be. I was expecting this peak to be a quick “bag” and return, but I was wrong. As I neared the top, the sun broke free of the gray clouds and bathed Flume’s rugged stone ledges with warm rays welcoming me to its summit. It was as if Flume was happy to have company. The views it offered from its pinnacle were compelling. I walked down its narrow ledge to where the trail seems to drop off into nowhere, and was glad I wasn’t going down that way. Returning to the summit, I sat for a while, admiring the beauty surrounding this harsh environment. I didn’t expect to enjoy Flume so thoroughly, and I found it hard to leave. I know I will return, on a sunny day, and soak up the warmth radiating from ledges bathed in sunlight.

Liberty called. I returned to her, paid my respects and offered my apologies for not being on her next Saturday for the Flags on the 48. She deserves the stars and stripes atop her waving proudly in the wind....and so does her more introverted sister, Flume. Two great peaks on a Friday afternoon. I love living here! :)

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Welcome to our corner of the world, Roxi. You will soon understand why I have a collection of Life is Good t-shirts!!!!!

:D Thanks, Mohamed! I have a small collection of Life Is Good T-shirts myself: Jackie on a bicycle (both in purple and sky), a "Simplify" Mountain Bike on sage, and the "all nighter" guy in a sleeping bag w/ tree and moon on salsa(?). Do they make one with a female hiker, or only the male hiker? And although I've been tempted to get the one with the orange cat, I've held off so far....

Roxi,
May I ask you a question?
I too hiked Liberty on Friday. I left the Liberty Springs parking lot at 12:00 noon on the button.
I remember beiing passed on the lower portion where the hiking was easier by a young woman with blonde hair wearing green shorts. I moved aside and she went by me like I was going backwards! I was also passed on the way down later in the day by this same woman. I couldn't have kept up to her on the way down either!
Was this you?
I am 47 years old and was spending the weekend at Mt Liberty Motel. I came up from my home near Springfield, MA by myself. My wife lets me take a weekend like this once in a while cause she knows how much I like to hike. She does not have as much of an interest as I do though.
I don't hike enough to be seasoned at it and when I do, I admit it is a struggle. I wish I could get out often enough to be able to do a hike like Mt Liberty without hurting myself afterwards. Thank goodness I had my poles for the return trip, cause they sure took some of the load off of my knees.
Any advice, or any knee products out there that you could recommend to me that would make this a bit easier? Or is it just conditioning?
I was surprised to see several people that were older than me, men and women, that were on the mountain. I wish I could go more often.
On Saturday, I did a flat hike to Franconia Falls. That was easy on my sore legs.
It sure was beautiful on top of Mt Liberty. It was worth every step.
Take care, Eric

Hi Eric,

I was dressed in zip off kakhi (sp?) shorts and a short sleeve button down kakhi top, of a slightly different shade. An older gentleman in a group of three on their way down remarked that I looked like a ranger. The shorts in the forest may have looked more green depending on the light. I am blonde, 46 years old, wear glasses, and tend to hike slighter faster than 2 mph. I hike two to three times/month, and try to cycle during the week. Cycling is easier on the knees, aerobic, and I think therapeutic. I like how cycling and hiking compliment each other.

I didn't have knee problems until the day I went up and down South Twin several times. A few folks here recommended that I start using poles, so I got the Leki Ultralights (EMS had a 20% off sale!). I used them on three or four consecutive hikes after that and my knee problem cleared up! I haven't had to use them since, but I would easily go back to using them if the knee flares up again. But that is just my opinion. I'm not a doctor and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I'm glad you got to be on Liberty that day. You're right, it was worth every step, at any pace. Hiking fast or slow doesn't change the mountain and some experiences are worth savoring. Next time you see me, say hi. I will slow down and stop, I promise! :)

Roxi,
Well I guess it was you that I saw. I remember also thinking that you looked like a ranger. No offense.
I see that you live in the area. We intend to retire in the White Mtn. area someday. My wife and I along with our two kids have been coming up there since we were married twenty three years ago. We even stayed at the Red Jacket in North Conway for part of our honeymoon. My kids are too old for the funparks now, but the wonderful memories that I have will last me the rest of my life.
One time we were all walking the Oliverian brook trail on the Kanc, and we came upon a momma bear with two cubs. It was an unforgettable experience.
I watched a moose come out of the woods and enter Black Pond one day when I was there.
We used to stay at the Riverbank Motel in Lincoln alot, along with many other places. Even my wife says that she feels like at home up there. So, it's just a matter of time and choosing a location for us to live. I wish I could do it now.
By the way, when I left Lincoln Sunday morning to come home, I came around a bend going up rte. 118 and I startled a male moose just standing on the edge of the road in the rain. I guess I have been lucky in seeing them pretty often.
Take care, Eric

Flags

Hi Roxi,

Great trip report. We have the honor of flying the flag on Liberty for the 9/11 memorial. Think of us and we will wave to you.