CT AT dayhike attempt - 11/25-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a great hike. If I didn't already have plans for turkey day, I'd definitely be looking into making it. Have a good one and looking forward to the report.

Kevin said:
So you are going to hike the Mohawk Trail/old AT? :eek:

Shall we plan to meet you before with some garlic and holy water? LOL :D
Lol... I might consider it if I wasn't going to possibly be hiking in the dark for that section.

I'll take some roasted garlic afterwards. Good? :D

Artex said:
That looks like a great hike. If I didn't already have plans for turkey day, I'd definitely be looking into making it. Have a good one and looking forward to the report.
So you mean I won't get to eat your dust? :D

ok... off to train ;)

I made the call about the AMC cabin there, little chance there though. We'll see, the cabin and tent platform would be really cool.
Camping in Sages would be great though too. Plenty of food and drink would greet you.

The advice to use the unmarked side trail west of the AT over to Mt. Washington Road is good. And note the comment that you cross the Mass border just to the north of the junction with this trail and just before you get to Paradise Lane.

I'm not sure I understand your plans for getting back to your car if you're alone. Were you thinking about a bicycle shuttle the day after your hike? How would you handle the logistics of this? If this is your plan, the Mt. Washington Road option could be much more difficult. Post a response and I'll explain.

Good luck on a huge endeavor!

Lovetohike said:
I'm not sure I understand your plans for getting back to your car if you're alone. Were you thinking about a bicycle shuttle the day after your hike? How would you handle the logistics of this? If this is your plan, the Mt. Washington Road option could be much more difficult. Post a response and I'll explain.

Good luck on a huge endeavor!

If going alone I was originally planning on spotting a bike and minimal sleeping gear at the Undermountain Trailhead on 41. But then if I was to meet some vftt folk I considered biking out of the Mt WAshington Road - but I'm guessing this road is probably not too friendly to for road bikes, right?
If that is the case, I might spot some sleeping gear near the AMC hut for that night, sleep wherever people converge and still spot my bike at the Undermountain Trailhead. Then the next day I'd just hike the Paradise and Undermountain to my bike and head back to the car.

thoughts?

it depends where you left your bike on mt. washington rode and what direction you are going on mt. washington rode after your hike. us local road bikers consider it one of the more challanging climbs in the area (leading up to bash bish). not something you want to put your legs through after a 55 mile hike. :eek:

If you're doing this on Saturday there will probably be a group of us in Sages, but I'm not going to want to hike out of and back into Sages Saturday night to get your car. We could drive you back down Sunday morning or figure something out Friday Night/Saturday morning and leave your car at the end. If you do this, we won't make you bike back to Gaylordsville. ;)
You'll need some sort of bail out point plan too, no ? or is that negativity ?

Chip said:
If you're doing this on Saturday there will probably be a group of us in Sages, but I'm not going to want to hike out of and back into Sages Saturday night to get your car. We could drive you back down Sunday morning or figure something out Friday Night/Saturday morning and leave your car at the end. If you do this, we won't make you bike back to Gaylordsville. ;)
You'll need some sort of bail out point plan too, no ? or is that negativity ?
Yep, it will be on Saturday and I'd love to join you guys at Sages and stay the night (I'll probably stash some overnight stuff by the AMC trailhead where I can pick it up before heading to Sages). I'll take the ride offer whenever and wherever you or anyone would like to provide it :D I like road biking and the roads up there would be beautiful to ride on... I just have a feeling I'd be in less of a mood to bike the next day :)

No need for a bail-out plan. I know that if my mind knows that I have an easy "out" I might just take it. Hanging out with you guys at the end will be motivation enough to finish :D

likeitsteep said:
it depends where you left your bike on mt. washington rode and what direction you are going on mt. washington rode after your hike. us local road bikers consider it one of the more challanging climbs in the area (leading up to bash bish). not something you want to put your legs through after a 55 mile hike. :eek:
Sounds real nice and I'd love to bike these roads, including rt 7 all the way back... but I think I'll leave that ride for another day :)

This sounds like it is shaping up into a great event. You will recognize us...we will lokk like we have just seen a ghost.

Just remember Puck, don't do what my friends did in Alaska and leave someone behind... If the Boogie Man is chasing you all, don't leave your hiking partner behind.... Even if they are slower! :D :D :D

Puck said:
This sounds like it is shaping up into a great event. You will recognize us...we will lokk like we have just seen a ghost.
On Saturday I am thinking about parking at the MA/CT border parking lot on Mount Washington Road, hike in the unmarked road to the AT and Sages, set up camp, then head north bound, head to Race and maybe Everett then back to Sages.

My plan is flexible to whatever the group or whoever shows up wants to do... I know the loop of the highpoints/3 corners is always fun too! Maybe on Sunday...

Since we actually will be doing more then just car camping, I have a feeling that we will be 'roughing-it' a little more then the MAGIC gathering last weekend... :)... Unless we convince Coldfeet to hike in with his propane latern/stove setup! LOL...

Remember that there are no campfires allowed in the this section of the woods... If we wanted to, we could always set up camp at the Mount Washington State Park campsites, but that is not convenient... We'll all just have to gather around someone's stove or a bunch of those chemical heater packs... :D

Catch you later...
Kevin

Just an update:

My back ain't doing too good and I'll probably be deciding if the attempt is "in" around Thanksgiving time. I'll still be heading out to the area to do some sort of hiking that Sat and camp out at Sages.

Sooo... I'm hoping that my physical therapist can work some magic before then ;)

Well it is only a few days off, so I thought I would bump this posting back up a bit...

What say we have a 9am meet & greet time at the Mount Washington Road Trailhead for the AMC Cabin, it is just south of the Mount Washington State Park in MA, just north of the CT/MA border. This would be for the folks hiking in that area... I know Chip and some folks plan to hike a different area and would meet up later near the Sages Ravine area. There is plenty of parking there, and plenty of hiking options as well.

I plan to do the three corners hike, from the trailhead, west over Round, continue over Frissel, out to Brace, and then the old wood road east back to Mount Washington Road. It is a nice loop that Latinhill showed me last winter.

Water should not be an issue either anywhere on the Riga Plateau... Likeitsteep and I were out there this past Saturday, and there are lots of streams/sprrings/brooks flowing. We hiked from the west up the South Brace trail to the Taconic Trail, over to South Brace... Likeitsteep continued on further and hit Brace and Frissel and even made back to the car about 5 minutes after I got back... I think he got some rocket shoes but I cannot confirm it; it just could be that I am a sloooooow hiker.

Anyway, I plan to head into Sages after my loop hike, which should be mid afternoon...

Hope to see some of you out there...
Kevin

PS... I caught wind that the Alander Mountain cabin has been spruced up, new roof, windows, etc....

Kevin
We were suppose to hook up with Chip for the Mohawk/Dudleytown hike. He has other commitments so can't make it. I have opted to do something more local in Central CT...Traprock ledges 100' here, 200' there kindof thing with Gorpburp.

We just can't seem to get a hike to Dudleytown executed...must be some supernatural forces that get in the way.

I'm in.....should be a good time. Plenty of room to park but just a word of caution for anyone driving in from the south. Mt. Washington Road may already have it's winter barricade across it by the AMC lot. I'm not sure as I have'nt been up there recently. In the past I have seen people find the gate open at the Salisbury end, and drive in only to find boulders blocking the road within feet of the AMC lot. They were'nt amused. :mad:
Yup, the Alander cabin has been somewhat renovated with a new roof but still could use more work. We stopped by there a couple of times this past summer and I was suprised at how clean it was.

Dave

Good to hear about the cabin. We stayed there a few years back and it took two hours of cleaning before it was livable. Wish that there was some way to stop the riff raff from trashing the place!

Very cool, I'll look forward to meeting you guys at Sages. Have a happy turkey day everyone :)

Chip...I got your msg, it sounds good! On Sunday we can do a hike up and over to Race then Everett if the group wants... The weekend looks great weather wise too, should be sunny and 50's during the days and chilly at night.

If you get there before us, go and set up your tents... We'll look for them in the afternoon...

See you there....
Kevin

I'm canning the attempt, so Kevin, I'll meet you guys at 9am for that loop hike, which I've never done so I'm pretty psyched to finally step on the highest point in CT!

See ya all there!
Doug

Doug, sorry on your attempt...

We will see you in the morning, it should be a beautiful weekend to be out, and while a lot shorter then your planned hike, you will enjoy the trails no the less...

See you all in the am!
Kevin