Accident up Sawyer River Rd.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
I was hiking out Sawyer River Rd. yesterday afternoon about 4 when we were passed by a convoy of 4-5 snowmobiles, a couple of which had flashing lights so were presumably police/emergency vehicles. One of the snowmobiles was pulling a sled with someone on it. Their face was covered (I assume to keep them warm/keep the snow off, as opposed to them being dead) so I couldn't tell what gender the person was. Each snowmobile had two riders.

I checked the various news sources, NH Fish and Game, etc., this morning and couldn't find anything. I'm thinking it might have been some sort of snowmobile accident since there are relatively few places a hiker could get into trouble up that road (and we were up Signal Ridge to Carrigain so I know they weren't up there).

Has anyone heard anything?

I don't have any details about the accident, however yesterday I was heading out of Crawford Notch around 2:30 and noticed several snow mobilers hanging around the entrance to Sawyer Pond Rd. As I drove down 302 several rescue vehicles (some pulling snow mobiles) raced passed us towards the notch. I think your assumption of a snow mobile accident is a good one.

Question: Current White Mtn snow conditions?

We have a group hike this Saturday (24th) to do Lowell and Anderson and plan to ski along Sawyer River Rd. What are the current snow conditions (depth and density)? How about at higher elevations (if known)?