info on trail from Twin Brook lean-to Uphill Lean-to

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Planning a weekend trip to pick up Allen and Redfield.

The thought was to hike into twin brook lean-to from Upper Works then drop packs and summit Allen then returning to Twin Brook lean-to to spend night.

Next morning head up to Uphill Lean-to again drop packs and summit Redfield. Depending on time of day arriving back at Uphill Lean-to, either stay in vicinity or head down to Colden.

Day three either head out early or summit Marshall then head out.

Has anyone done this or have suggestions for an alternate route?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Tim

Glad I checked.

I have a new trail guide and map for the high peaks but can't locate the book.

I'm going off of a 1978 version of the guidebook that I intend to carry up all of the high peaks.

If I remember correctly there's a campsite on the way to Allen. Is the campsite at the former Lean-to site?

Is there any other feasible shortcuts between Allen and Redfield?

teejay said:
As far as a route to Redfield from Allen, it looks like a 'whack the whole way.
Here is a picture of Allen from Redfield:

http://viewsandbrews.com/temp/r3.jpg

It doesn't look too bad. As you can see, there are a lot of open areas. The trick is navigating from one to the next. However, I'd bet that there is a lot of blowdown in non-winter conditions! :D

Does the trail that passes hanging spear falls continue South towards the twin brooks? If so, this would be 1 way to get to the uphill leanto. Or you could try to find the Upper Twin Brook trail and hope for the best. Once you get to the Cliff/Redfield col, it's in half decent shape, as it gets used to that point. I've never gone any further...

BlackSpruce said:
First the former Upper Twin Brook trail becomes a total mess in the deep valley between Cliff and Redfiled, second you wouldn't be able to walk the first mile without tresspassing as the trail was abandonned a long time ago.
Thanks, I was afraid that both of those might be true!