Lowell/Anderson - the easy way from Nancy Pond Tr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
Here's how we avoided the impenetrable spruce/fir bordering Norcross Pond:
From the southern corner of Norcross Pond, locate a small drainage. It is not very apparent, except for the fact that it appears as a narrow opening in the spruce/fir jungle. It will take you in a S/SE direction for a short while and then to the S/SW. After about 15-20 minutes of effort, you will come onto the side of the ridge coming down the east side of Anderson. The ridge opens up like a city park with excellent views to the N and S where we noticed relatively open forest to the pond(Duck Pond?) and to Lowell. It is the north side of this ridge that has the impenetrable spruce/fir. The top portion and the south side are mostly open woods. We followed the ridge to Anderson with mildly denser vegetation on the last 100' of elevation.
We then proceeded to Lowell on a compass bearing/visual with little difficulty except for a narrow band of spruce/fir just as we started up Lowell.
Once back down to the col, we bushwhacked NE through open woods, skirted the pond and intersected our tracks on the ridge.
By the way, has anybody attempted to reach this ridge from Nancy Pond rather than Norcross Pond?

Thanks for sharing your great adventure. That is a special part of the forest. I think I remember seeing the more open south side of Anderson from Carrigain -- can anyone confirm with a pic of Lowell/Anderson from Carrigain?

This fall we did some exploring off the south side of Nancy Pond, hoping to find Whiteface Brook drainage, but the going was too swampy for a late afternoon, so we went up Nancy instead.

Any pictures of your trip?

We didn't have a camera - traveling as light as possible since we didn't know how much effort this would take.
However, I have about 20 GPS waypoints which give a good idea of the trip. I can fax this map to you if so desired,

Well, I dug through my photos and found a pic from the summit of Carrigain that shows the Lowell/Anderson area. I have tried to label some of the features; I welcome comments if anyone thinks I'm off. (I probably should have labeled in yellow; please don't strain your eyes!)