Windham High Peak, 1-19-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtq

Reaction score
From the parking area at the end of Big Hollow Road, there were 4 inches or more of crusty snow on the Red trail and more on the Blue Escarpment trail. Entire way was bare bootable if so inclined, but I used MSR snowshoes once it was deep enough and I needed some extra grip, though it was a tough call. It was one of those days where some portions the snowshoes were helpful, other times the cover was thin enough where I should have taken 'em off. Crampons or other traction devices were not necessary, but could be helpful.

Wispy blue skies, windy, and nice views from the several lookouts along the way to Windham High Peak. Didn't appear anyone had been on this stretch of trail in quite a while... well, at least no sign of tracks were found in the snow.

Only very minor stream crossings in the beginning and a few minor blow downs or dead fall to negotiate throughout. Start at 8:10 AM, back to the car before 1:00 PM.

Kurt