North and South Doublehead via Old Path and Doublehead Ski trail - 4/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
Trail conditions: Hard pack snow on the Double Head Ski Trail... I had no trouble barebooting the first .6 of a mile. Above that there are icy stretches and you might want some light duty traction. Old Path is also barebootable as long as you stay directly on the treadway... if you're off by a few inches you will posthole to your knees. I used snowshoes from the col to South Doublehead -- no trace of the trail, so I just made my own. I kept them on until the summit of North Doublehead... mainly because I was too lazy to take them off.

Special Equipment: Snowshoes if you want to visit South DoubleHead, otherwise, light traction would be good for the icy spots. Swiss Bob sled made for a great ride back down to the trailhead.

Comments: I though the weather was supposed to be better on Sunday... but I still had a bit of light rain. No views... the two Doublehead peaks were shrouded in clouds, though their neighbors were clear. The sled ride down made up for it... the ski trail was steeper at the top than I was expecting and conditions made it a fast ride. I was able to sled almost all the way down to the parking lot. A great little hike, though I'll have to go back for the views another time.

I had intended to hike Eagle Mtn as well, but there was no parking available at Eagle Mtn House... that coupled with the arrival of more rain, drove me home.