Forest Service Roads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Cantdog has just announced, both here and in Hiker's Journal, that the Bear Notch Road is open, and I have received an email telling me that Tripoli Road is still closed. I have updated my Forest Service Road Closures page to indicate the new information.

Time once again to solicit your input! Please let me know the status of any Forest Service road that you see, either by posting (here or on VFTT) or by emailing me. Together we can make our hiking community aware of the status of these roads!

Base Road

I know its not a National Forest road but Base road to the Ammonusuc ravine trail should be open now. Cog's operating schedule begins on Saturday, May 1st.

Rt. 113, Evans Notch

The gate was open this morning, Monday, even though the road closed sign was still attached. Open at the southern end, at least. The Basin also appeared to be open, though I didn't drive all the way down to check.

Talked to the Ranger in Twin Mountain on Friday regarding the service road status. He told me that they may be opened next week.

Asked about parking in front of the gate area and was told that so long as you do not block the gate, as long as you have a sticker no problem parking there. This includes the ones along Rte 3.

as of today (may 2nd) i couldn't find anything open, zealand is still closed, tripoli is still closed and the ones on rte. 3 are still closed (even though tripoli states that it is open from may till...)

Last edited:
Just a note, I hiked a little over a mile today on Tripoli Rd (between the Osceola TH and Tecumseh TH), and though I saw no vehicles, I was convinced it was open. Lots of fresh tire tracks (Forest Service?), and the gate near the Osceola TH was open, which I would think would be for access from Livermore Road....

Frodo,

Tripoli was gated at the Livermore end on the morning of May 1, but of course it may have changed over the weekend.

Base Road

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I have updates on all the "major" roads except Ravine Road and Base Road. Does anyone have any hard information on either?
On the morning of Apr.30, the Cog Railway billboard at the junction of 302 and Base Station Road said "closed", in the evening it said "open" which fits with somebody's remark that it was to open May 1. I'll bet the road is open too :)

Last year it took Haystack Road quite a number of extra weeks to be open, due to extreme softness.

In fact, and Cantdog can correct me, wasn't it still closed on June 7th when we did the Twins?

According to my source with the USFS, the North-South road from Glencliff officially opened today.

Sandwich Notch Road is open, but for thru-trips it's best for pickup trucks with good clearance due to the washouts. A sedan could make it from the south to the Beebe, but from the Beebe north it's still rutted.

Last, but certainly not least, Tripoli Road is scheduled to open next Friday.

That's the big news from this neck of the woods.

P.S. I am emailing this info to Mohamed.

Last edited:
I just talked to the rangers - Tripoli road was checked a couple of hours ago and is still too mudy to open. They are targeting next Wed to open it. It is open on the I93 end (exit 31) as far as Russel Pond.