Return to The Catskills -- 5/24-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Hey my NY friends, Shamie and I are heading over to the Cats for Mamorial Day weekend and would LOVE to meet up and share a hike and/or a beer with some of you. I'm looking to add onto my list of completed 3500s. Ideally, I'd like to get some some "twofers".

Already done:
Cornell, Wittenburg, & Slide
Black Dome, Blackhead, & Thomas Cole
Hunter & NW Hunter
Panther

Any suggestions and/or interest? Indian Head & Twin? Sugarloaf & Plateau? Something with Eagle and/or Balsam and/or Big Indian???

Double Bow said:
Hey my NY friends, ... Any suggestions and/or interest?
Sorry to say we will not be available.

But there are also:

BLM / Graham (Doubletop)
North Dome / Sherrill
Bearpen / Vly
Peekamoose / Table
Lone / Rocky
Balsam Cap / Friday

The last 3 pairs can be combined into a long 6-fer if you spot a car. :D

And BTW, it's SW Hunter! :D

I think I may be kayaking on the hudson (if you're on a peak with views, don't forget to wave).

I presume you are talking day trips?

If you want to backpack, Biscuit Brook is a nice spot and good to do about 4 peaks in that area, Fir/Big Indian. Also you do Graham and Doubletop too....

If the weather is nice, you should do Indian Head and Twin, great views... Fir and Big Indian may be OK-weather days. Doubletop and Graham have fine views though too.

Jay

No a "two-fer", but Kaaterskill High Peak is a fun one. Only one peak, but if you're eventually going to climb the 35, you've gotta get up there some time. Nice view from Hurricane Ledge, a little below the summit. From the Palenville side, the trail approach takes you past some good views and waterfalls. The southern trail approach is nice too. Both sides have flat trail sections that are very poorly drained. Very wet trail is unusual for the Catskills, but those sections are well known for this.

Matt

If you're still checking this thread, what did you decide to hike? I had been waffling about whether or not to head out of the area this weekend, but it's looking like I'll be hanging around these parts. I'll likely be climbing Sugarloaf and Plateau in some fashion tomorrow, either as a dayhike or the first day of a daypack.

Matt