Tripyramids via slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn-top

Reaction score
Blue and I had a great May Day celebration atop the tripyramids on Saturday, enjoying the beautiful warm weather, great views and terrific company.

We began our hike in the lot off of Tripoli road and proceeded up Livermore Road (trail). After a bit of consternation about the proper entrance to the tripyramid loop, we entered the woods with a quick stream crossing and a gradual climb to the base of the North slide. Initially, there was snow and ice at the base of the slide and both Blue and I were post-holing as we began to scale the rock. The snow/ice cleared and the climbing became more regular. Hand holds were plentiful and the big bad slide suddenly seemed not so big or bad.

We enjoyed terrific views all the way up and reached the large cairn at the top in no time. The trail into the woods had a bit of ice on it, but it was short and reached the summit of North Peak quickly. The views from North were nice but we had already been spoiled by the wonderful views from the slide. We continued on to Middle peak where we enjoyed a nice lunch; sitting in the sun and basking in the warmth. After a quick orienteering lesson, we continued on our way to South peak and then down the gravely South Slide.

The South Slide was very hot and the footing slippery. One almost wants to boot slide through the gravel as they make their way down. From there it was just a matter of finishing the miles of near flat trekking back to the car. We stopped along the way to enjoy the Norway Rapids and for a quick respite at the edge of avalanche brook to cool our hot doggies.

The day was topped off with appetizers and beers at the Woodstock Inn that afternoon with a great group of hikers (whom I had heard plenty about but never met) and then dinner and camaraderie with the same group over in the Hancock campground. What a wonderful introduction to spring!

Ok, some numbers. Total trip length, 11.9 miles, total time, 7:15, number of terrific new hikers met, 6.

Charlie

Charlie,
Go ahead, rub it in. As it turned out, I could have easily stayed - my wife wasn't expecting me until Sunday (but was happy to see me nonetheless)

Very nice meeting you also. Hope we get to hike together.

BTW, is it just me, or is Blue smiling way too much lately?;)

How many times that day did I stare out at the Tripyramids from Tecumseh?
:D

Glad to hear you had a great trip - sorry I missed everyone afterwards!

My pictures from the trip are here.

We saw one hiker during the hike on our way down the South Slide. We also saw 30-40 boy scouts at a camperee on Livermore Rd. Then we got to the Woodstock Inn and then later to Hancock Campground to find some wonderful friends and watched Shizzmac grill and Seema dance with Laura and Donna, while Just Bob burned CDs....we chatted with John and the guy with the dog and wished Sherpa had stayed..
and we knew that life

is good.

:)