Tremper - 6/1/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Trail in great shape. A few flies, and a few nettles, but nothing to really worry about. The lean-tos were a little messy, but it was a score for us! :D We packed out a hack-saw (think about that! :eek: ) and some other useful stuff, along with some crap.

Just before the summit, we realized that we were about at the elevation of the trail register for BLM! :D

The fire tower looks great. Could use a little paint. The views are getting hard to see, even from the last landing. You can barely see any roads at all, but you can see Overlook, the DP, Hunter, Mohonk, Slide, The 'Burg' (as Laurie calls it! :D ), and a whole lot more. Beautiful temps and nice breeze all along the way! Spring is just a trickle, even though it rained the night before.

2.8 miles, 1:45 hours up, 1:15 down, a nice :30 at the top finding the cabin remains, and a very grown-in view point.

We saw 2 kids heading up at 6:45 PM, hope they knew what they were doing, w/o any packs! :eek: I guess cell phones are the new head lamps! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Thanks for the lean-to cleanup. Tremper is a fun little mountain with a real climb.

Tom Rankin said:
Just before the summit, we realized that we were about at the elevation of the trail register for BLM! :D
I am glad I am not the only one that has had thoughts like this. Tremper is also just a little higher than the CR-47 trailhead for Slide Mt. And despite that the Tremper summit is only 2740' it has just a shade less than a 2000' ascent. That is more than Slide Mt from CR-47, more than BLM, and more than several other big boys in the Catskills.

We saw 2 kids heading up at 6:45 PM, hope they knew what they were doing, w/o any packs! :eek: I guess cell phones are the new head lamps! :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:
This never ceases to amaze me as well, although I am no longer phased by it. No matter how late I start and finish a hike there is often a few seeming novices just starting out as I finish. Some may be just out for a short stroll in the woods before dark I suppose.

Mark Schaefer said:
This never ceases to amaze me as well, although I am no longer phased by it. No matter how late I start and finish a hike there is often a few seeming novices just starting out as I finish. Some may be just out for a short stroll in the woods before dark I suppose.
Yes, perhaps a short stroll, but at 6:45, you have plenty of time to walk a long way into the woods before it starts getting dark.

A few summers ago, we came down a fire tower peak in the ADKs by headlamp, in the rain, and people were still coming up! :eek: They were at least prepared in this case.