Bemis Peaks 1-3 via AT and bushwhack - 6/21/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Conditions: Wet, wet, wet! Water was deep on the trail in places, requiring frequent short bushwhacks around it. Ledges below Peak 1 were wet and slippery, some with water rushing over them. VERY SLIPPERY! Encountered about 10 blowdowns between peaks 2 and 3, all which could be climbed over. Bugs were not bad at all, considering the time of year and conditions.

Special Equipment Required: Waterproof boots and gaiters. Put on some bug spray at Peak 1.

Comments: What a slog! The conditions were wetter than early spring, with all the snow melt, making for a slow hike. There has been lots of rain in the area recently (6 inches in past 2 weeks). I also got soaked from all the wet trees. Had to change my original plans to do a long loop with the Bemis Valley Trail, as it has several crossings of Bemis Stream that would have been extremely difficult. Was very happy to do a short bushwhack to an old tote road to avoid most of the descent on the AT. That would have been extremely slippery due to the wet conditions. Views were great, but clouds obscured some of the distant mountains, such as the "Maine 6 pack".

Marty