Washout and Gale River Loop Road Trailheads Access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
This extends the Franconia/Twin Mtn. Rt. 3 washout thread that Carole posted earlier today.

WMNF is reporting that the western (or southern) part of the Gale River Loop Road is closed because of bridge damage from the Garfield Trailhead to Rt. 3, the west entrance, but you can use the east (or north) entrance off Rt. 3, directly across from Trudeau Road, to access the Garfield and Gale River trailheads. Rt. 3 is open from Twin Mountain to Trudeau Road, closed west of that junction.

"Hiker / Visitor Alerts and Current Conditions

.....A total of four bridges over the South Branch of the Gale River on South Gale River Road (Forest Road 92), part of the Gale River Loop, have been damaged, and the road has been closed from the Garfield trailhead to Route 3. Hikers wishing to reach the Gale River and Garfield trailheads should use North Gale River Road (FR 25). Visitors are advised to treat all Forest bridges with caution until they can be assessed.

A washout on Sandwich Notch Rd (Waterville Valley section) has been reported and may affect travel.

Updates will be posted as information is received. This update: 3 August 2008 5:00 PM."

2nd bridge from the North side of the loop

these pictures are from today,Monday, 8/4. Rte 3 from Franconia to Trudeau Road, is supposed to be open tonight?? The bridge in the picture will likely be out for some time- didn't look at the other two!

From the AMC Bulletin Boards

Posted on behalf of Chris Thayer, White Mountain Facilities Director:

I had an opportunity this morning to get updated by Pemi District Asst Recreation Ranger Tom Giles on the current status of road closures on the western side of the WMNF (Pemi District off I-93). As of this morning, it appears NH State Rt 3 is back open from Twin Mtn through I-93 after NHDOT repaired a significant breach in the road pavement caused by excessive rains (par for the course this summer).

US Forest Service continues to have the southern end of the Gale River Loop Rd (Forest Road 92) closed from the Garfield Ridge Trailhead through to Rt 3 due to several bridge washouts making the road impassable for the foreseeable future. The northern end of the Gale Loop Rd is open and accessible to the Gale River Trail and the Garfield Ridge Trail allowing access to Galehead Hut and Garfield Ridge Trail and recreation points of interest. The shuttle route is intact again to points noted on our schedule.

The usual warnings continue with caution for backcountry travel at high water crossings. For more information and timely updates (Tom promised to update me/us as situations warrant) see http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/ and http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/safety.htm