Hunter loop on Columbus day weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
I planned a moderate backpacking trip for a small group of boy scouts for the long weekend. We arrived at the Spruceton trail head around 10:30 on Friday morning. We met a small group out for a "Lark in the Park" hike. They took our photo before they headed out. In a matter of minutes we were ready to head out. We proceeded in a counter clockwise direction around the loop, heading towards diamond notch. The first mile was easy going along the nearly level trail. Before long we were at the Diamond Notch Falls. After taking a break, refueling and checking out the falls
and streams we began the long climb. We took frequent breaks. By 12:30 we reached the Gieger point View and stopped for Lunch.

After the lunch break we continued on to the leanto. We caught up with the group we had seen at the trailhead, waiting for one of their party you went to try to find the Leavitt peak summit. He told me he had not found the cannister but it sounded like he was very close. We arrived at the Devil's Acre Leanto shortly after. We claimed our spots in the leanto, relaxed a few minutes and got our maps, compasses, water bottles and snack (but no camera:cry: ) to prepare for a trip to Leavitt peak.

We easily found the cairn marking the old rail bed. I gave a quick lesson on compass use before we started the "wack". The herd path was easy to follow and marked with a cairn and brushed off at the point needed to head up to the summit. It had taken exactly 30 minutes to reach this spot from the leanto. It was a short 10 minute climb to the cannister along fairly distinct herdpaths on a due S bearing. The cannister so easy to find compared to my last time in the winter. We all enjoyed signing the book, a first for everyone in the group besided me, and the first Catskill 3500 for at least three in the group. The return trip was made in just over 1/2 an hour.

We set up camp, cut fire wood, filtered water and relaxed until dinner time. We cooked dinner and ate. Just as we were cleaning up a group of 21 arrived. We found out they were Environmental Science students from Columbia University. The set-up camp and prepared there meals as the boys played a board game. Later that evening the other group came and shared the fire with us and gave us some marshmallows and hotdogs cooked over the fire.

The following morning we awoke shortly after sunrise and cooked breakfast and packed up camp. we were ready to leave by 9:00AM. We reached the viewpoint at the end of the Becker Hollow trail in about an hour and enjoyed an energy boosting snack before continuing to the tower. When we reached the tower the Columbia students were having a lecture on the transition from northern hardwood to boreal forest transition. They would be doing a study on the vegetation at different elevations. The weather was cloudless for the entire trip and the views were excellent We enjoyed the summit for about 3/4 hour before heading down the Spruceton trail.

At the Colonels Chair Trail junction we met an Assistant Ranger on his way to the tower. We talked for a few minutes about scouting and Hunter mountain. We then stashed our packs off the trail, took out our lunches, water and camera (this time). The trail begins dropping steeply for the first 1/2 mile, then moderates after leaving the state land. We came across the Rip Van Winkle sculpture being worked on for the last 13 years. A few minutes later we were at the top of the ski slopes. This area was very busy with lift riders from the Octoberfest and a wedding being set-up. We spent another 45 minutes at this spot, http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2093397980010942124DSeBxa and enjoying the weather and views.

The trip back up to the Spruceton trail was easier than expected. After retrieving our packs we were on our way for the final two mile descent. We stopped briefly at the John Robb Leanto site, then again to filter water at the spring.

It was obvious some of the boys were getting a bit tired a sore, but I assured them we were almost finished. The leaves were at peak color and beech leaves were a brilliant yellow. As we reached to bridge under repair I knew we were almost done. We arrive back at the car tired but in good spirits.

I over heard the boys saying. "This is much better than a 'regular' camp out" and "We should do this more often". Thanks to all on this trip for the memorable and enjoyable trip.

entire photo album