Kayak portage wheels???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one out of some 20" bicycle wheels and misc hardware but that was just to take my kayak from my house to the lake I belong to about 1/2 mile away through some woods roads, it was never meant to store inside my kayak and no way it would fit anyway.

Many carts do disassemble or fold in some fashtion to make it somewhat storable but you really have to try one out to see how well it stores. Especially if you are kayak touring and space is at a premium. Also, you have to consider what kind of portaging do you expect to do. Don't expect to surf launch and take your kayak across loose beach sand with those wheels.

Check out the others like Paddleboy too, they seem to be popular:

http://www.paddleboy.com/

Jay

The folding ones that I have used just did not work well. They would roll ok on a road, but as soon as you get them in dirt or grass they were pretty useless.

I made a homemade kayak cart wheel thing with wheels from a fertilizer spreader and pvc pipe. It was ridgid and did not fold. It still did not roll well over uneven terrain and I only used it once or twice.

Used a decent cart in Hawaii, but it was a two person operation and again it only rolled well on a road.

- darren

Yeah I didn't think the wheels on most of the carts were trail worthy either. I have to take the kayak about 1/2 mile on a rocky scree abandoned jeep trail to the lake by my property. Bike wheels were on the menu but then when I do travel, I'd like to have a folding storable cart n that triggered my curiosity.

I've been tossing ideas up at work with the other carpenters n trades, everyone has contributed something to a design I'm in the process of prototyping. Once i get it on the kayak, I'll post some pics for more mods.

Paddleboy has some nice designs. I did some surfing on the web n found lots of styles of carts. I just need one I can copy off but I am looking for sturdy, light n packable.

Conneticut river, Hudson river, Long Island Sound... n many more are on the ta-do list.

Thanks

The bigger the wheels the better they roll and the bigger the pain in the neck to haul. Life is just full of these dilemmas.