WMUR-TV Video About the Old Bethlehem Train Station

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Some readers might recall the posting I did awhile back about a short hike to the old Bethlehem, NH train station shown in the picture below.

Did anyone see the short video that the WMUR TV station recently did about this old train station? Not everyone will be interested in viewing the video link below. It is related to hiking only in that it's a piece of railroad history in the White Mountain region to which you can do a very short walk/hike. However, it’s also related to photography which is an area of interest to many hikers.

Once you click on the link below, you’ll probably have to suffer through a short commercial. Once the commercial is over and the actual video piece begins, you can advance the slide bar at the bottom of the screen to 2 minutes which is about where the part pertaining to the Bethlehem train station begins. (Of course you can watch the video from the beginning. You might find the whole thing to be of interest!)

http://www.wmur.com/chroniclevideo/18461650/index.html

100_0506.JPG

Last edited:
I saw it on TV and thought, "Hey that place looks like a photo I saw in a trip report on VFTT". Looks like a cool place to visit. Also looks like a place local teenagers might go to drink beer.

That old station was too close to the road for teenage beer drinking! Glenn and I and a few other buddies used to sneak whiskey out to a great little campsite way up in the woods on the hill above James street back in high school.....

....but that's a bit off-topic! (and 20+ years ago!) :eek: Great link - I missed this piece when it was on the other day - thanks!

I saw that on NH Chronicle, wasn't it? I'd forgotten about that beautiful old building. In fact, when I saw it when I was younger, I thought it was really ugly. My parents had a home in the Pierce Bridge section of town and friends and I used to explore as far and as wide as we could on our off-road motorcycles. Oh, how I loved my Bultaco Alpina! :p (Sometimes when I kicked the engine over I could hear it had started up in reverse and I would back away from where I was parked -- what fun.)

How interesting
I have a lot of the books on the railroad history in the White Mts
So many of the trails we hike originated from old railroad beds

Too bad this beautiful old building couldn't be restored
(I know it would be so costly)
but it is part of the history of the Whites
so much is gone now, someday this will be too.

It's like a gift to be able to see it
& imagine it as it might have been!

I'll have to make a point to go by there
Thank you for bringing it to our attention!