Elephant Mt from So. Arm Rd. 1-31-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 1-31-09

Trail Conditions: The road has 6” - 8” of new snow over a packed snowmobile track. In the woods, snowshoe penetration ranges from 12” to 18”. Nothing was broken out, either by snowmobiles or hikers. No sign of the New England Bushwhackers track on Jan 11.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes for the entire route.

Comments: The end of the road has been plowed to allow parking for 2 or 3 cars. The street sign is gone but the “Birch Brk” sign remains to identify the location.

I did the switchback cutoff bushwhack on the way in as represented by the blue dashed line on the Topo tracks. It saves about ¾ of a mile of road walk. Going solo, I found the extra effort required didn’t warrant the ¾ mile savings. I did the road walk on the return. With 2 or more people, it would make sense. Woods beat roads any day. About 1/2 mile in from So Arm Rd, there is a T intersection and a sign that reads Old Blue. Take a left here to follow the road or go straight and begin the bushwhack at your point of choosing.

The route to the summit from the end of the skidder road where the bushwhack begins was relatively easy. I avoided most of the thick and nasty by staying out of the col between the summits. There was one section of blowdown around 3600 ft where I had to head northeast and curve around.

There is a band of closely spaced Christmas trees guarding the summit canister. The snow depth is about waist deep through there. If you enjoy spruce traps, you’re in for a treat. It took an hour to push through the last 200 feet. Other than that, it was a pretty easy bushwhack.

Your name: Carl