Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Cool Nature Guide from GMC

  1. #1
    Senior Member Toe Cozy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kimchi
    Posts
    497

    Cool Nature Guide from GMC

    As a thank-you for a recent donation to GMC I received their new publication entitled Nature Guide to Vermont's Long Trail: A Quick Reference for Hikers written by Lexi Shear. I have not read all of it yet, but so far it seems worthy of a mention on this forum. It has a little bit of everything: Geology, Climate & Ecology, Natural Communities of the LT, narrative about interesting features as you go South to North along the trail (using the same Divisions as the LT guide), Plants and Fungi of the LT, Animals of the LT. Some nice color plates at the end for ID'ing stuff you might see along the way.

    If you already know lots about this stuff it's probably not a book for you. However, to me it's more engaging than your average field guide because the narrative ties things together and provides an excellent context for discovering the natural communities while actually out hiking!

    Enjoy!

  2. #2
    Senior Member forestgnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    ..Madison, NH
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cozy View Post
    , narrative about interesting features as you go South to North along the trail (using the same Divisions as the LT guide), Plants and Fungi of the LT, Animals of the LT. Some nice color plates at the end for ID'ing stuff you might see along the way.

    Sounds interesting. Most trail guides I see offer only info about parking, difficulty, distance, gain and views. Most nature guides offer, for example, most wildflowers people would notice in the northeast. I'd like to see a guide that shows most of the flora and/or fauna seen on the trails of a region. Don't know if that's practicle, but it would be nice.

    happy trails

  3. #3
    Senior Member roadtripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Danvers, MA Avatar: The Wave, AZ
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by forestgnome View Post
    I'd like to see a guide that shows most of the flora and/or fauna seen on the trails of a region.
    The "50 Hikes" series by Countryman Press does a pretty good job of this in my opinion

  4. #4
    Senior Member mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    south burlington, VT
    Posts
    892
    I may have to check that out!
    thanks for the heads up!

  5. #5
    Senior Member RoySwkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,478
    Quote Originally Posted by forestgnome View Post
    Most trail guides I see offer only info about parking, difficulty, distance, gain and views. Most nature guides offer, for example, most wildflowers people would notice in the northeast. I'd like to see a guide that shows most of the flora and/or fauna seen on the trails of a region.
    One edition of the Maine AT Guide was so much like that with the distances etc. on the back of the maps, that most hikers left the guide at home :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Nature Happens
    By Billy in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
  2. when nature calls
    By dangergirl in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM
  3. Nature Programs in the MWV
    By gaiagirl in forum Trips & Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
  4. Children & nature.
    By MadRiver in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •