Garden Trail to Haystack 6/5 or 6/6 - 6/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Activesport2002

Reaction score
I am thinking about a hike up to Haystack via the John's Brook Trail (Garden Trail). This will be my first one of the season so I will be a little out of shape. I plan on starting out Friday night or early Saturday morning. I have a tent but will be eating at the car, putting the food in the car and then camping 1/4 mile or so into the trail. Putting the tent away Saturday morning and then day packing it from there. If anyone would like to join me or give any advice, please let me know. [email protected]

Sounds like a great trip! I hiked Haystack the last weekend of May last year and there was still quite a bit of rotten snow on the trail just beyond Slant Rock, upwards of three to four feet by the time I hit the Marcy Jct. So, outside of checking trail conditions here and at adkhighpeaks.com; I'd suggest gaiters and to be prepared for the water crossings to be a bit higher than normal.
Have a great trip!! Haystack is my favorite Adirondack High Peak.

There are a couple LT's pretty close to the TH and there are a couple more near JBL along w/ several camping areas--I'd recommend hiking in farther on Friday Night-The trail is easy to follow--Otherwise why bother w/ a tent at all--just sleep in your car..