New England Trail -- towns advice needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SoBo vs. NoBo prejudice

My experience walking south on traditionally north-walked trails like the L.T. is that there are some places where a NoBo hiker has an advantage. The one place on the Cohos that I felt this was the case was at the intersection of Bear Rock Rd. and Noyes Rd. When southbound, the CT leaves the road you are on and follows Heath Rd. toward Coleman S.P.

The map (#5) and the road signs are very different. What is listed as Noyes Rd. on the map is actually the continuation of Bear Rock Rd. What is listed as East Rd. on the map is actually Noyes Rd. by the road sign. Unfortunately when standing at that intersection, Heath Rd. is just out of sight and so of no use in helping you decide which way to go.

If I'd taken out my compass and just gotten a bearing on road directions I would have solved my dilemma but I didn't and instead assumed Heath Rd. must be a little further up Noyes Rd. and so continued on (walking due west instead of south, duh!) A convenient blaze on a telephone pole would have solved the problem entirely. For the NoBo hiker it isn't a problem. You jct. with Bear Rock Rd. from Heath Rd. and turn right. You might notice that what the map is calling East Rd. is labeled as Noyes Rd. but it doesn't matter at that point because you aren't supposed to be following either one.

Don't know if Pedxing had run into the same head scratching that I did but it was mighty confusing there for a while.

One other little confusion happened just past Rudy's C & C. You are supposed to take a right onto Ferguson Rd. about .4 miles beyond. Well, Ferguson looks like someone's driveway and the road sign is obscured by brush so it's easy to miss. I went an extra 1/10th of mile or so and backtracked. Again a NoBo hiker wouldn't have the problem since as soon as they hit the pavement they turn left.

I agree, bcskier, in many cases trails follow very differently depending on which direction you're hiking. However, in general it is always easier for me to lose the trail when I'm on a road, regardless of how it's blazed. So I'll keep in mind that I need to be very careful on the road walking sections of the CT.

Pedxing... interesting point. I do enjoy planning hikes quite a bit. I won't comment on the second part of that equation ;)

Askus - I think there two soggy stretches (definitely at least one) between table rock and Dixville Peak. The soggy turf was were fairly typical of the stuff I kept hitting - it was definitely far from the worst I hit. That might have been due to timing - or because everything was soaked. That picture brings back memories (as do some of the other pics).

Last edited:
BC - I agree on the SOBO/NOBO thing both for the Cohos in particular and for other trails (like the Long Trail). If anything the Cohos is more even handed than the LT. Anyhow, when traveling SOBO on many trails, I find that going on the assumption that the trail is marked and laid out for NOBOs is very helpful. Thus, when I come upon an unclear intersection, I approach it from the opposite direction and ask myself "which way would a north bounder be coming from that this intersection would be easiest to figure out?" This is easiest when there are blazes or signs nearby as they are likely placed as to be most visible and helpful to the NOBO.

The opposite way of thinking works sometimes when going NOBO, but not nearly as often.

askus, I see what you mean about the trail condition in those photos. I think I'll keep that in mind as I go along. Hopefully it's not so overgrown that the trail is impossible to follow. From your pictures, I can see a few spots where it does look like there's a footpath, if somewhat obscure.