Mount Pemi loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Read the title carefully; I did a Mount Pemi loop, not a simple Pemi loop :D

I have often done it going up the Indian Head Trail (from Rt. 3, near the Indian Head Resort) and going down by the Mount Pemi trail, to the Flume. In the past I returned to my car along Rt. 3.

Some time ago, conversing with a hiker on one of those trails, I learned that there is a snowmobile trail, between Rt. 3 and the Pemi River, that allows completion of the loop with less road walking.

Obviously a snowmobile trail going from the bike path to the vicinity of the Indian Head trailhead would have to leave the southern end of the Flume parking lots. So after going up and down (nothing worth reporting) I walked to the southernmost parking lot, where I found a path with a sign "DOG WALK". I am not a dog, but it went south and so I followed it.

Sure enough, it went through the woods to the Indian Head Resort. I followed the road between two rows of cabins (rather than walk across their lawn) and at the tepee headed for Rt. 3 and the trailhead.

Loop is about 5 miles with 1,600 feet of elevation gain.

Thanks to Paradox I now know about Wikiloc, trail is at Mount Pemi loop.

Last edited:
EXCELLENT! Thank you for sharing! I’m certain that I’ll be putting this info to good use more than once!

Today, coming back from the Flume Gorge parking area, I decided to explore what I suspected was a snowmobile trail leading from the western group of Indian Head Resort cabins to the trailhead. Sure enough, after meandering southwards between a few cabins I got onto a short segment of snowmobile trail that got me to the parking lot, avoiding the short road walk from the resort to the trailhead. Map here.

Today was a beautiful day! Too bad I did not feel up to a hike with better views. Still, elevenses in the sun on the south facing ledge reminded me that Life is Good!!!