Secret camping spots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
So we're thinking of loading up the car with the family (wife, 3-year old, dog) and heading north to the Whites with no clear intention. Call it a brief two day road trip. Anyone have secret spots where it's easy to call it a day and camp without reservations and without breaking any rules? We have some spots in mind, but we really don't know where we're going. Just going to see where the road takes us, but in the event that we need to just crash...we're wondering what would be some good spots?

C'mon, fess up...I know some of you have some spots that you don't want to reveal, yet are dying to talk about!

Thanks guys!
-ct

If they get posted here they will no longer be secret. You want people to give up their hidden gems before Labor Day weekend? I don't think so.

There are FS sites along Cherry Mountain, Haystack, Gale River, and Tripoli roads. Those would be your best shot but on Labor Day weekend they are likely to be filled.

People should find their own secret spots and keep them a secret, not advertise them on the world wide web. I can imagine some bootleg sites being overrun or publicized to the point of being enforced if we start posting this kind of information here.

As usual, Metsky said it best.

You bet I have some secret sites, and that's the way they're staying: secret.

The USFS has designated campsites along the Great Gulf Trail, the Davis Path, and the Dry River Trail. None of them are on any current trail maps, although once upon a time, many of them were. Some of them are excellent, and popular.

One of them is the site of the former Great Gulf Shelter, which has some history. See Nicholas Howe's book, Not Without Peril; 150 Years of Misadventure on the Presidential Range of New Hampshire, Chapter 11.

Seek, and ye shall find. Good luck, and have fun.