Poll on Maps of Conservation Easements

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should maps be available of private land where recreation is allowed by easement?

• Yes, we have the right to know about such land and what's on it.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Maybe, we should know where the land is but not such a detailed map.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Maybe, only if the landowner approves.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • No, the landowner should not expect additional visits due to the easement.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • No, people should be expected to visit the registry of deeds to find out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, ??

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Another variation on conservation easements is to place them on public lands. For example - Vermont's Green Mountain Club has a goal of protecting the entire Long Trail, and feeder trails, and has had an active program to do so in place since at least the 1980's. When a corridor of land is purchased, before turning ownership over to the VT State Park system for inclusion in state-owned public lands, I understand that conservation easements are placed on it so that it will be protected forever. In other words - the state could not sell it and deprive the public its access rights.

Am not sure there are any absolute guarantees re: public lands. Remember Newt Gingrich's plan to sell the National Parks? That plan seems off the table at the moment, but isn't dead. Don't take public access for granted, even on lands within the jurisdiction of the USFS, USPS, or the BLM.

Don't take public access for granted, even on lands within the jurisdiction of the USFS, USPS, or the BLM.
USPS? Tell me about it! They closed the Wonalancet Post Office about 15 years ago. People still haven't gotten over it.

USPS? Tell me about it! They closed the Wonalancet Post Office about 15 years ago. People still haven't gotten over it.
So THAT'S why the Postal Service is running such a huge deficit! The darn Park Service is running it!

(I double-checked - the Park Service is often referred to as the NPS)