S. Hale 10/29/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
My hiking friend, Hufflepuff, and I decided to try for one more of the NHHH before the weather required full winter gear. We planned to do a loop hike on the Zealand Trail, to Lend-a-Hand hitting South Hale and Mt. Hale. We followed the advice of prior bushwackers who recommended heading off into the woods at around 3200 feet in elevation. Well, that route is the most direct from the Zealand hut; however it is quite steep, thick with spruce, and strewn with glacier erratics. Very picturesque but not easy hiking. We made it to the top and decided to return in a direct route, down the northeastern ridge, to arrive farther north on the Lend-a-Hand trail. What a pleasant surprise this was! Far easier in every way.

So, if I were going to tackle this peak again, I would continue on the Lend-a-Hand Trail to approximately the 3400 elevation. The trail becomes a flat ledge of granite in this area for about 50 feet. This is where we came out of the woods. A compass bearing of S 240 W (approx) should take you right to the summit of S. Hale after passing through the broad flat summit area. The advantages of this route are that you can gain 200 feet in elevation on a trail rather than bushwacking, it is a more gentle approach, and the wood are generally more open. The disadvantage is that you have to double back; it is not the most direct route.

So. Hale is not a very popular peak; we were the 4th group to visit in 2009. The loop turned out to be just about 10 miles, probably because we did quite a bit of zigzagging in the woods! A fine fall day in the woods.

Last edited:
Good info. You must be getting close on this list.

We made some good progress this year, but still have many miles to go. This list has some interesting peaks and really challenges my map and compass skills. But, they are very rewarding and fun!