Jbl

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
In a couple weeks, I plan to hike 8 peaks of the Great Range in few days period via camping near JBL and doing day-trips from camp. I was told that it would be possible to leave my food bag inside at JBL, thus foregoing the "hanging from the bears" routine. Is this correct? I am ignorant of the JBL area, never having hiked in from the Garden...is there an AMR person who runs/oversees the lodge, or just what? Thanks for any info.

BigAl,

I'll save you the inquiry.
I was on the line with the ADK Asst Executive Director 5 minutes ago and posed your question.
In addition to wanting to discourage non-guests from dropping into JBL at all hours to drop off and pick up food bags, the lodge has a very limited capacity of mouseproof food lockers that are for the use of their paying guests. They would encourage you to buy a food cannister, or rent one at EMS, The Mountaineer, or the High Peaks Info Center of ADK.

Hope this answers your question.

If you go after Labor Day, check to see if the JBL is on caretaker status. I had a great night in there a couple of years ago in October. It was pretty cheap... I think $14, and you brought your own food, stored some in the mice box and the perishables in the fridge. Full roam of the kitchen, chilling by the fireplace at night, swapping stories, and a bunk. There were only a couple of people there and it was a great light way to play in the valley. And eat like a king!