Baker and Big Squaw (Big Moose) in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'm looking for a few peaks to possibly add on to my Baxter State Park trip comming up next month.

Baker and Big Squaw (recently renamed to Big Moose) are on either side of Greenville. Big Squaw has a tower and a trail shown in DeLorme (and on the topo). Baker has no trails shown.

Has anyone done these? Any suggested routes? Is the Big Squaw tower still climbable? Good views of Moosehead? Any trails on Baker (recently bought by the AMC)? Suggested bushwhack routes?

Thanks
Pb

Richard "Papa Bear", being an avid peak bagger, I'm sure you have an updated Maine Delorme Atlas. NNE of Greenville, look for dirt road entry entry into Prong Pond. (REF: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25, update to Large Map). Follow the logging road east and NE (condition currently unknown, but there could be some washouts so be prepared with a shovel, saw and/or axe) several miles into this area; REF: [url http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=19&n=5045519&e=466187&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25[/url] . From here, if traveling with others, you may spot vehicles (4WD suggested) on each of these branch roads. The Lily Bay peaks (2) are north of here and the Bakers (3) are east. With planning, you can do a five (5) peak sweep of all of them in one day. It's a very primitive area and maintained only by logging operations. Good luck!

Big Squaw's fire tower was still standing in 2001, although the cab was in relatively rough shape. The ladder is airy and steep, with fairly large-spaced rungs, but was serviceable at that time. Although it is said to be the oldest fire lookout tower in the US (1905), the solar panels seemed fairly recent compared to the dilapidated box.

They used to run a lift in summer for sightseeing -- not sure if they still do.