climbing skins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLhiker

Reaction score
I'm loving BC skiing more every time I do it. I have been using a set of fischer s-bound outbound crown skis. They seem fine, though, i have nothing to compare them to.

Question: Can anyone recommend climbing skins for these skis. I see a lot of options on the web, but I'm not sure if exactly how to size them for these skis. Is the sizing universal and them trimmed to individual skis?

Also, what are the pros cons of adhesive verses no adhesive skins? full length, vs 3/4 length?

Anything else I should know? Obviously, I am novice.

Thanks for any help

I'm sure there are folks with more specific insights but here's my $0.02.

Adhesive and full length is the only way to go. Anything else and snow gets underneath the skins and you get a lot of flapping around. Probably when you need it most. A good pair of skins can last a very long time and a bargain on a cost/ski basis.

Agreed. Adhesive and full length are best.

Both mohair and nylon work well. Mohair supposedly glides a bit better. In either case, some skin wax will help glide and repel moisture.

You can get skins that are wider than most of the ski and trim to fit, but then those skins cannot be used on any other ski. Such shaped skins are supposed to give maximum grip.

I use straight-edged skins slightly narrower than the waist of the ski. I leave them long, fold the tail over the tail of the ski and secure it with a Voile strap. http://www.rei.com/product/791627 (Strap under skin under ski, strap over skin on top of ski.) This allows sthe skins to be used on several pairs of skis.

Kicker skins can also be useful in certain situations... (Particularly for a waxable ski.) http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...Mohair-Mix-Kicker-Climbing-Skin/BLD0462M.html

XC grip wax on the tips and tails of a waxless ski can also improve grip.

Doug

Are those fairly skinny BC skis? I have Rossi BC70's I think (which are skinny) and really recommend the Black Diamond climbing skins. I had to get smaller tip loops directly from Black Diamond to fit the skinny ski tips and they work well. The skins are the bright orange ones. 60mm wide I think; around $100.