Can anyone recommend an easy trail up a Presidential to bring a first timer on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadst1

Reaction score
As the subject line implies, I'd like to introduce someone to hiking; my girlfriend, actually. I've been stationed in South Carolina for quite some time and haven't been able to hit the mountains, and I'm in withdrawals. She runs regularly, and between myself and our friends, gear is not an issue; just finding a good trail for beginners. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The hike itself would be in early October.

The easiest IMO would be up the Edmands Path to Mt Eisenhower. The distance or elevation isn't too bad, the footing is quite good for the Presidentials, and you are never too far from treeline in case the weather turns bad.

-dave-

I agree with Dave (of course). Edmands Path is the easiest, fastest, and most sheltered way to get above treeline in the Presidentials.

- darren

Another option is to ascend the Crawford Path to the junction with the Webster Cliff Trail. From this point you can either continue on the Crawford Path to Mt. Eisenhower, turn right on the Webster Cliff Trail to Mt. Pierce, or both. A visit to Mizpah hut is also possible, with a descent on the Mizpah Cutoff back to the Crawford Path.

Steve

If her stamina is decent, I'd recommend up Edmands Path, up to Ike, then south on the Crawford Path. If you'd like to keep it easier, I'd vote for Crawford Path from Route 302 to Mt. Pierce.