"Glitter Room" in Cave???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
We met a hiker coming down from Marcy Sunday who told us about a hike into a cave, and especially into a room known as the "glitter" room. Apparently it is very beautiful; the sun comes thru the roof of the cave and sparkles off the water and minerals; looking like glitter. It's supposed to be somewhere down by Albany. Has anyone ever heard of this place? (not Howe caverns!)
Thankx
ps; the hike up to Marcy was awesome! For those of you who know of my problem feet - let that be encouraging! I psyched myself up all week and just did it. My feet didn't hurt until the last hour coming back in the dark but I was happy to have had such a fun hike with no pain. of course today my legs are like: ouwee ouwee ouwee & i'm walking like i'm a hundred but i'm smiling....

You really got me wondering on this one.... I know of a lot of caves in the Albany area, but none that I can think of that have a skylight as you describe.

glitter room

i know -- but i'm passing on 2nd hand info so you know how that goes. i should have gotten more info but the 1st thing i said was "i'll post it on views - see what i find out" sounds cool doesn't it?

glad to hear your feet werent too bad, managed to hit the bonds and owls head without too much pain myself.
just started acupuncture, too early to say much about it though.
peace

charlos

not sure what problem you have w/ your feet: mine is major pain in the ball of my feet and the nerves bet my toes! really freekin hurts - it's hard to describe to someone. anyway, let me know how the acupuncture works. i get to switch ins in december and i'm definitely switching to the one that covers it. i tried acupuncture before for chronic pain and it really helped and was totally relaxing. weird tho as they stick all those needles in you! it doesn't hurt but it weird.....
good luck! let me know how you do. you can pm me if you want

Twinkle Room

Clarkesville Cave in Clarkesville, NY (not far from Albany) a.k.a. Ward/Gregory Cave has a little room called the Twinkle Room off of the Lake Room (both named as such on the map.) There is no skylight. The Lake Room has an opening to the outside however called the North Entrance but I've never seen any light coming from it.

The Twinkle Room gets it's name from the abundant beads of condensation that form on the ceiling and walls. They sparkle in the light of your headlamp.

Your story sounds a bit like it has grown in the telling, especially if the Twinkle Room is the location of its origin.

I'm not a tremendously well-traveled caver so there could very well be a room in a NY cave that matches the description you give. You might try posting to alt.caving and see if that produces a better response.

bcskier

Twinkle room in Clarksville crossed my mind too. One other cave that may be a possibility is Bentleys, near Petersburg. It does have a second upper entrance that, when the sun is right, may cast light into the cave below & possibly illuminate water drops. As bcskier noted, these tales do seem to grow with the telling.

When I was much younger (15 years ago or so), I can remember going into Clarksville Cave to the Lake Room, and seeing sunlight come in through the north entrance above the lake. The farmer who owns the property above this section of the cave has since bulldozed that entrance shut however.