Sawteeth via Scenic/Weld-Pyramid Trails 8/1/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteman

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 8/1/2010

Trail Conditions: I took the Scenic Trail up. The trail follows Lower Ausable Lake roughly for a half mile or so, then climbs steeply for the next couple of miles. Some parts of the trail are seeing serious erosion, but mostly the trail was in very good shape. I came down the trail towards Pyramid, then down the Weld Trail. Trail is eroded at top with some tricky spots, otherwise in excellent condition.

Equipment needed: I think poles would only be in the way if you are going up the Scenic Trail. Otherwise, usual summer gear. No bugs to speak of.

Comments: Beautiful day, had the trail to myself all morning. The views to the Great Range are amazing. Saw a fisher on the way out near Rainbow Falls. Rainbow Falls is spectacular, and is a worthy detour off the Weld Trail.

Do not bring a new hiker up the Scenic Trail! It has a few tough pitches, and there is enough up and down up high to be disheartening, since the up is all so hard-earned.