Becker Hollow Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineguy

Reaction score
My trail map does not show a "P" to indicate parking for the start of the Becker Hollow Trail (Hunter Mt) off RT 214 but some websites show parking available.

Anyone know the current situation??

Thanks

There should be a small turnoff of Rt214 (You should actually be able to see it from 214) about a mile north of the Devil's Tombstone campground (now closed). You can see a turn off and a small parking area and also a neat stone gate structure marking the trailhead there.

I think the name of the road there is Stony Clove Rd too. But yes, there is parking there.

Jay

There is plenty of parking, very conspicuous from rt. 214 and a kiosk. It is near the height of land on the highway. If, heading southwest, you hit a downgrade or pass a small pond with a parking area, you've gone too far.

Becker Hollow Trail itself goes straight up, nary a switchback nor a waterbar but its a short hike to the summit which I surmise is at the trail junction. I could only guess that there are views from the ledges to the west of the summit and from the nearby fire tower ... how would we know, we were up there Gathering weekend ... in the rain.

As already stated there is ample parking at the trailhead. If you are coming from the north on Route 214 the trailhead is a few yards south of a bridge that is undergoing reconstruction and restricted to one lane. I passed the trailhead on Monday, 9/27, on my way to the Devil's Path trailhead. It appeared the new bridge deck was just completed, but the railing was not in yet. The construction might be done by the weekend.

The deciduous trees on top of Hunter are already bare from the heavy winds and rains of Ivan (the gathering storm). Most of the summit is conifers, and there were still excellent foliage views into the valleys on Monday - both from the tower and from the short unmarked trail opposite the top of Becker Hollow trail. The trail junction is at 4000', the trail tower clearing is at 4040'. There is a step-up rock at the SW edge of the fire tower clearing that has the elevation engraved in it. That is the accepted high point on the mountain. Most people just climb the tower.

Becker Holloe Parking...

for sure you can park there. On the west side of 214 is room to park.