Merely an "FYI" regarding Iron Mountain's South Cliffs (11-Sep-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
This might be old news to many, but possibly new information for some. Anyone who has hiked the Iron Mountain Trail knows that there is a view of Mt. Washington from the north side of Iron Mountain. But possibly what isn't as well known is that there is also a nice view of Mt. Washington on the far western end of the South Cliffs viewpoint. I don't think this view is available if you limit your wanderings to the general vicinity of where the trail dumps you out onto the South Cliffs viewpoint. (If it is, then I've missed it!:eek:).

Below is a snapshot of the view I'm talking about. It's not a "knock your socks off" view, but a nice view nonetheless.

P1070162.JPG

To reach the far western end of the cliffs, it's about a 0.2 mile trek from the end of the Iron Mountain Trail. There are traces of a very faint path that leads over to this area. However, you mostly just need to follow your nose since the faint path disappears when crossing large patches of bare rock.

Just as a side note, I accessed the South Cliff area of Iron Mountain by bushwhacking up from Jericho Road. It was merely something different to do. It didn't save any time. It took just over an hour for the bushwhack which is comparable to the book time of 1 hr 15 min that is listed in the WMG for hiking to the South Cliffs by trail.

So, during the summer months, it would seem that reaching the South Cliffs via bushwhacking offers no particular advantage over accessing this spot via the Iron Mountain Trail. However, even though it's unlikely that many folks would want to do this, I wonder if there's possibly some useful information here for anyone who might have a burning desire to access the South Cliffs during winter?

Although I've never been on Jericho Road in the winter, I do know that during winter months the road is gated at a certain point beyond the residential area. I'm assuming there is a place to park at the gate? If so, then a route similar to mine could be taken by parking where Jericho Road is gated, and then road-walk for about a mile before heading off into the woods in an easterly direction.

The route I took was moderately steep, but it was through open hardwoods for the entire distance. Plus, shortly after leaving Jericho Road, I came upon a dry brook bed that led nearly all the way to the top. It was a nice corridor that was almost like hiking a trail!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
I love your bushwhacks

I looked in the WMG 26th Edition (1998) and saw, from the other way, Green Hill Road, the view of Mt. Washington at 0.6 miles. Is that another view or the one you photograph?

Also, at 1.7 miles it reads that there is a mine with a water-filled hole and a tunnel. That sounds it's near the south cliffs. Did you find the mine? Did you find the "rickety tower" near the fire tower?

I'm looking for your next adventure!

That is quite a pleasant view...a nice place to bring a book to read, take a nap...you name it. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Thanks Phil. Yup, those South Cliffs on Iron Mountain are a nice place to hang out, especially on a glorious sunny day like we had on the day I did this hike (which was the same day you had such a great trip to Mt. Pierce). Unlike some viewpoints that are cramped, the South Cliffs are expansive and there's plenty of room for folks to spread out.
I looked in the WMG 26th Edition (1998) and saw, from the other way, Green Hill Road, the view of Mt. Washington at 0.6 miles. Is that another view or the one you photograph?

Also, at 1.7 miles it reads that there is a mine with a water-filled hole and a tunnel. That sounds it's near the south cliffs. Did you find the mine? Did you find the "rickety tower" near the fire tower?

I'm looking for your next adventure!

Thanks also for your reply. It's so nice to learn that someone gets some enjoyment from reading my reports to places less-traveled.:)

I'll get just a bit sappy for a moment, and say that when I was stuck in an office environment for many long years, it was always a treat to take a moment and read reports about the type of hikes that I currently do. So now that my life circumstances have changed, I'm just trying to return the favor by posting reports which hopefully provide some enjoyment to at least a few people.

Okay, enough sappiness! So now I'll answer your questions. In retrospect, probably my report had a focus that was a bit too narrow.
I was merely trying to just let folks know that as a result of my bushwhack, I discovered that there is also a view of Mt. Washington from the South Cliffs. This view is IN ADDITION to a similar view that can be had from the north side of Iron Mountain (the view you read about in the WMG). And actually, there's a pretty darn nice view of Mt. Washington from the trailhead itself, before you even set foot on the trail!

Below are two snapshots taken a couple years ago. The one on the left was taken from the north side of the mountain (from the side path located 0.6 mile from the trailhead). The photo on the right was taken from the trailhead itself!

Keep12.JPG
Vu%20from%20Trailhead%201.JPG

You asked about the old iron mines. Although I didn't go there on this particular hike, below are snapshots taken a couple of years ago. The one on the left shows the entrance to one of the old mines. The photo on the right shows some tailings from the mining operations.

zVFTT.jpg

And lastly, you asked about the old fire tower. Once again, I didn't go there on this particular hike, but shown below is a photo taken a few years ago which shows the remains of the old fire tower.

P1020289.JPG

Last edited:
Just as a side note, I accessed the South Cliff area of Iron Mountain by bushwhacking up from Jericho Road.

The route I took was moderately steep, but it was through open hardwoods for the entire distance. Plus, shortly after leaving Jericho Road, I came upon a dry brook bed that led nearly all the way to the top. It was a nice corridor that was almost like hiking a trail!

Your bushwhack is close to the route of the path that led up from Jinks Hill Road in Jericho to the mines and cliffs. The Jericho Trail was completely obliterated below the mines 100 years ago, but the route can be approximated by following the easternmost of the two southern ridges. Also, for an eastern approach, the former Duck's Head Trail joins the current Iron Mountain Trail in a small ledgy area just above the cliffs. It must receive occasional use because the intersection is still marked by a small cairn and at least a short distance beyond that, although I have not followed it myself.

Your bushwhack is close to the route of the path that led up from Jinks Hill Road in Jericho to the mines and cliffs. The Jericho Trail was completely obliterated below the mines 100 years ago, but the route can be approximated by following the easternmost of the two southern ridges. Also, for an eastern approach, the former Duck's Head Trail joins the current Iron Mountain Trail in a small ledgy area just above the cliffs. It must receive occasional use because the intersection is still marked by a small cairn and at least a short distance beyond that, although I have not followed it myself.
Your reply prompted me to look at my 1940 edition of the WMG. The trails that you mentioned are shown on one of the maps from that old WMG (see below).

My bushwhack was a bit west of the old trail that led up to the mines from Jericho Road (formerly Jinks Hill Rd), but my route basically paralleled the corridor of the old trail. The whack began in the general vicinity marked by "A" on the map below, and it ended in the vicinity of the point marked by "B" (which is at the far western end of the South Cliffs viewpoint).

Map from 1940 edtion of White Mountain Guide
IronMtnMap.JPG

Last edited: