Hunting near Cranberry Lake??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I'm thinking about hiking this weekend in the area south of Cranberry Lake (NY) between Wanakena and High Falls. Then I started worrying that they might be hunting in that area at this time of year.

Does anyone know about this?

Right now it is bow season in the Northern Tier. It is also turkey season. I don't think this a risk to hikers. Archers have to be close to their targets and have an unobstructed view, or their arrow will be deflected and not hit the mark. Turkey hunters tend to sit still and wait for the birds to come to them. I would just wear orange and make plenty of human-type noise.
ecc

We were there last Sunday. We kayaked from the Ranger school in Wanakena around Dead Creek Flow to Janack's Landing. Then we hiked up Cat Mountain. We saw a couple at Janack's Landing and someone was signed in at the register for 4 days but there was no other sign of anyone there. In fact we commented on how beautiful it was sitting on Cat Mt looking over the view with the leaves in full color and that it was funny that no one else was there to enjoy it.
When regular hunting season starts, we just wear orange vests. You can pick them up at K-Marts for a couple of dollars. We keep them in the car during hunting season because you never know when you might want to pull over and check out some trail.

cranberry lake

My daughter did a 3 day backpacking trip as part of a college class on Columbus day weekend last year in that area.....something like Dog Pond loop and Cat Mountain. I think they saw one other party in 3 days.
Hunting season starts earlier in the Adirondacks, but I agree with the previous post that sharing the woods with bow hunters and turkey hunters isn't a big risk.
I hiked last fall during hunting season in the Catskills. We made a lot of noise.....my friend was singing to be loud and I was afraid someone would shoot him just to shut him up.:)

The archery season in the northern section started on September 27, and the gun season starts on October 23 and ends December 5. I wouldnt worry in archery season, but in gun season wear orange and be respectfull and once again wear orange and try to stay on trails.

I hiked there at this time last year, and didn't run into anyone. Even if you were hunting at the height of rifle season, there would be little to fear in an area as big as the Five Ponds. Most hunters will stay within a mile or two of the road, because motor vehicles are banned in wilderness areas, and dragging a dead deer for several miles isn't all that fun. Hunters will also avoid hunting near the trails because folks like you and me tend to come strolling along and scare everything away; if you do meet a hunter, he or she will likely be coming or going. In general, people who hunt in a place like the Five Ponds/Cranberry Lake are going to be pretty serious woodsmen, and thus know what they are shooting at. The crazy dilettantes aren't going to go to the trouble of hunting such an inaccessible area.

I did run into a rather grouchy bear the last time I was up there. He was just beyond the trail to Cat Mountain, and was not happy about yielding the trail to a couple of hilers. If you see him, give him my best. ;)

Just drove back from a High Peaks excursion on Saturday the 16th.
Rifle-toting folks clad in camouflage were parading up and down the
south shoulder of Route 3 from Saranac Lake to Cranberry Lake.
I kept my foot on the gas and told my dog to keep his head down.

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch